back from vacation

biohazardcustomz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2010
illinois
thanks for your watchful eye lupin.and to the OP please dont let anyone discourage you. of course mistakes can be made i still make them, frequently. lol but you will learn and the hobby for you can always expand. just keep your head up and if you have a question, ask it. if you would like you can pm me too. if i dont know the answer id be more than happy to help you find it.

Amphilophus88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2009
Holland
I watched your video on youtube "Going on vacation". But man that's a lot of feeders you gave your fish.
Like mentioned before, biggest thing I'd worry about is when your convicts kill them but don't eat them, then you have all those dead goldfish in your tank, which will result in A LOT of ammonia.

Cross127

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2006
CT
What i do to prep my fish for a vaction is about 2 weeks ahead of time i start feeding sparingly once every two to three days (this will help them conserve energy) then 2 days before the vacation i feed them regularly as they will retain the food energy longer. Then do a 60-70% water change. It sucks to do as i have way too many tanks and most of them are large 125+. I never feed them during the actual vacation time. Even if the vacation is long I come back nothing is wrong except their tummies are little sunken.

Feed feeders as a diet supplement. In your case feed small livebearer's not gold's or rosey's.

Do not feed them feeders when you are vacation. Just a very bad idea. Ammonia spikes, Nitrite and nitrate, loads of mini cycles, waste debris is unbareable. Filters get gunked and slow down.

All this mumbo jumbo about people being only 13 or 14 years old. When I was 13 I had researched as much as i possibly could before I even bought anything. Your age is NO excuse for poor keeping. Not saying that I was perfect at keeping fish and i didn't make mistakes. Sure I did but the mistakes weren't common sense. They were something i hadn't learned yet and thankful to this site!

bob965

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2009
MI
Showing respect and courtesy to other members is of the utmost importance. Everyone was a beginner at one time, and nobody knows everything.

However, I can also understand the frustration of knowledgable people who give advice with good intentions, only to see it disregarded.

In this particular case, the TS asked about leaving his fish for 3 days and was unanimously told that they would be fine. Then his next post was that he dumped a dozen or so feeders in his tank. You can lead a horse to water....

Chicklette

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
If I leave I pay my neighbor to come in and feed them. I put the food in baggies and then she does not overfeed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store