Been Seeing Alot of Baby Indo's an Ngt's Lately are they being CB??

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Proof or no proof, I'm starting to think they are being captive bred (at least ITs). When they first came in, everyone wanted the oddball ITs. Now it's seems hard to find a classic 4 bar IT. I've been seeing them in stock more often than not. So while breeding season seems to saturate the market with them, I still see them from time to time when it's the off season. How is there so many oddball ITs now a days if they aren't being CB? You would think that the classic 4 bar still be dominant form that you would find if they are WC...unless you're thinking there are tons of WC oddballs all of a sudden being caught. IDK...just my opinion.
This was exactly what happened with ST before they vanished from the market

Did you ever think the reason we are seeing so many oddballs is Asia strip the market of all the ones before the rest are shipped to the rest of the world

Hand picking 3 bars has been going on for years now as they fetch a higher price

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Because I have one ST now doesn't mean I have not had plenty in the past

The pictures posted above go back over 15 years

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
I agree. If somebody is/was breeding them, there would be AT LEAST ONE picture of eggs on the internet somewhere... but i have yet too see any. But. It is amazing how small they are available to the hobby. So i have to ask what's up with the smaller-than-dime sized babies that i have personally got before? Like as small as my pinky fingernail. I was shocked when a wholesaler brought some in for me when I was running a fish shop.

On another note... Is there any way to say that this is mating, or is it just one datnoid sizing-up another?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB82wh_JxU4

That vid is just two Indo's fighting over that hiding spot there in front of That's all. Seen plenty of my past dats do it.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I agree. If somebody is/was breeding them, there would be AT LEAST ONE picture of eggs on the internet somewhere... but i have yet too see any. But. It is amazing how small they are available to the hobby. So i have to ask what's up with the smaller-than-dime sized babies that i have personally got before? Like as small as my pinky fingernail. I was shocked when a wholesaler brought some in for me when I was running a fish shop.

On another note... Is there any way to say that this is mating, or is it just one datnoid sizing-up another?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB82wh_JxU4
If a fish has been fished hard then the next season there will not be any larger fish for sale meaning they will have no option but to harvest much smaller younger fish

What you need to remember is the sizes we used to see for sale 2-3" was probably young from the year before

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
This was exactly what happened with ST before they vanished from the market

Did you ever think the reason we are seeing so many oddballs is Asia strip the market of all the ones before the rest are shipped to the rest of the world

Hand picking 3 bars has been going on for years now as they fetch a higher price

I wasn't talking about the 3 bar ITs, but the classic 4 bar ITs. I rarely see a normal 4 bar IT anymore. And it seemed that everyone wanted the Oddball ITs back in the day and the 4 bars were a dime a dozen. Now the tables have turned.

That would be too tedious of a job to pick out almost all 4 bars and 3 bar ITs don't you think (I can see the 3 bars, but not 4 bars)? Since they are coming in by the thousands and it seems that there are just a hand full of people "catching/gathering" them at such a small size. During the season, they seem to be coming in at a dollar coin size and during the off season, they seem a bit larger.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I wasn't talking about the 3 bar ITs, but the classic 4 bar ITs. I rarely see a normal 4 bar IT anymore. And it seemed that everyone wanted the Oddball ITs back in the day and the 4 bars were a dime a dozen. Now the tables have turned.

That would be too tedious of a job to pick out almost all 4 bars and 3 bar ITs don't you think (I can see the 3 bars, but not 4 bars)? Since they are coming in by the thousands and it seems that there are just a hand full of people "catching/gathering" them at such a small size. During the season, they seem to be coming in at a dollar coin size and during the off season, they seem a bit larger.
I haven't been tiger shopping for about a year now but last time I looked it was a mix of all different strips 3 bars 4 bars and odd balls

I think it's just the luck of the draw what you get

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store