Beginner to saltwater but not the hobby

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
So t R.O water mixed with instant ocean? With freshwater I know you can treat a bucket of sink water with conditioner..can you do this with saltwater too like add in seachem safe and just mix in the salt or is that on the big "don't do list" in saltwater?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Most people will buy or make reverse osmosis water and mix with their preferred salt. Sadly you can't do the prime and dump. It is on the don't do list.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: twcp

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
The skimmer I planned to get if I really need it is the Coralife BioCube Protein Skimmer for Aquarium Filter
If it will work on a standard tank.
View attachment 1044653

That looks like it will work perfect. Do you have a link for the picture? I'm looking for that pt. skimmer.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Just look up the name of it that i listed above you can get it on Amazon for $30 I saw it at petco tonight for $60!!!. Now the next thing I am struggling with is where I can buy or get RO water... I have an RO system installed for my houses cooking/drinking water but I think the guy said it has some kind of alkalinity thing in it... well that leaves me stumped now that I can't top off with the real ocean water that comes in boxes or treated tap water...

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
If your RO filter looks like the kind the sell at bulkreefsupply, then you should be alright for topoff. Not sure about the alkalinity thing in what yours is like. Another option is the grocery store gallons of drinking water they sell - it will say filtered by reverse osmosis in the fine print. If they have the fill yourself machine, even better since that is generally cheaper.

bmpauley

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2013
Marysville ohio
The skimmer I planned to get if I really need it is the Coralife BioCube Protein Skimmer for Aquarium Filter
If it will work on a standard tank.
View attachment 1044653

I had one of those protien skimmers there Not worth it. You shouldn't need a protien skimmer unless your going to have a huge bio load or keeping corals imo. I've never used one and my fish and corals are thriving.:)

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Ok I will look for it in stores. And a side note the aqueon circulation pump 500 gph was good until I woke up to find that the ball socket that connects to the suction cup sapped off !! Guess I'm heading back to the lfs this afternoon ... and also what types of filter media is best for saltwater? For freshwater I use mechanical and biological filtration such as sponges filter floss, biomax etc.. which is best for salt.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Ok I will look for it in stores. And a side note the aqueon circulation pump 500 gph was good until I woke up to find that the ball socket that connects to the suction cup sapped off !! Guess I'm heading back to the lfs this afternoon ... and also what types of filter media is best for saltwater? For freshwater I use mechanical and biological filtration such as sponges filter floss, biomax etc.. which is best for salt.

The live rock acts as media. I use this in some of my tanks http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00739QDTS?pc_redir=1414444180&robot_redir=1

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
The live rock acts as media. I use this in some of my tanks http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00739QDTS?pc_redir=1414444180&robot_redir=1

Whatt???? So technically I can not have a filter and just have a circulation pump with live rock and I'm set? I think I will still keep at least a small HOB on there. I'm going to get live rock from a very reputable saltwater store near me later today as well as a small circulation pump to replace this crappy petco one. I'm also going to use the 5 lbs of rock I already have the dead rock and introduce 5 pounds of live rock to save some money. Hopefully the bacteria or whatever spreads.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Whatt???? So technically I can not have a filter and just have a circulation pump with live rock and I'm set? I think I will still keep at least a small HOB on there. I'm going to get live rock from a very reputable saltwater store near me later today as well as a small circulation pump to replace this crappy petco one. I'm also going to use the 5 lbs of rock I already have the dead rock and introduce 5 pounds of live rock to save some money. Hopefully the bacteria or whatever spreads.

In my bigger tank I run two filter socks, a skimmer, and have 1lb/gallon. It is a good idea to have some mechanical filtration. But it isn't required with regular mataince.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Cool I'm just going to pick up some live rock and keep my hob on there. I had a 500 gph circulation pump in there until it broke, should I get a smaller size when I return it or is the 500 gph fine for a 10 gallon? Also should I point the pump at the surface for surface movement/gas exchange or should I point it at the rocks?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store