Beginner to saltwater but not the hobby

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I would see if you cold get a smaller pump 100-150 gph. I would shoot for 12-13 turnover.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: twcp

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
uploadfromtaptalk1414697398542.jpg
This was the smallest I could find at my local marine LFS. I got 6 lbs of live rock. Let's see how this goes. In a few days I may add in some hermits if it poses no harm. I won't be adding fish until the cycle is complete. And also should I keep the lights on to encourage algae growth or should I leave the lights off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
View attachment 1044711
This was the smallest I could find at my local marine LFS. I got 6 lbs of live rock. Let's see how this goes. In a few days I may add in some hermits if it poses no harm. I won't be adding fish until the cycle is complete. And also should I keep the lights on to encourage algae growth or should I leave the lights off

That looks good. I would keep the lights off.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Great. Should I point it at the rocks or towards the surface

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Make sure there is some kind of water disruption at the surface. If there is no enough oxygen in the water it will delay the cycle

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Make sure there is some kind of water disruption at the surface. If there is no enough oxygen in the water it will delay the cycle

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Ok. I will have it pointed at an angle towards the surface

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Ammonia is between 0 and 25 ppm closer to 0ppm. Nitrite is 0 ppm and nitrate is between 0 and 5ppm

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
It looks so clean.
Good luck.

Thanks. It cleared really fast. And is distilled drinking water ok to use for top offs instead of RO water? Or must I have the RO water. And i spoke with some guy working at my LFS and he told me to buy the instant ocean salt and the instant ocean water conditioner and treat TAP WATER!!! And add salt to that treated tap water to then put into my tank? Huh :what: I don't know what to believe here but after hearing what some of you guys had to say plus watching some videos from bulk reef supply etc it seems like RO water with added salt is the way to go when doing a water change. I just Dont have an RO system for my tanks and I have never seen RO water at my grocery or lfs store. So that's why I am asking about the distilled water as far as top offs go... for water changes I can just buy premixed real ocean water or something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store