Beginners Guide to Filter Media

nick@nite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
USA
I never thought of using body scrubbers, I am new to the canister filter business and trying to figure out the right setup for my tank.

MartinBoy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Las Vegas
I never thought of using body scrubbers, I am new to the canister filter business and trying to figure out the right setup for my tank.
I think the pot scrubbies are better and cheaper!

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
about to set up my first freshwater sump, it was saltwater until today, miss my FW fish too much. Current plan is to go ahead and put filter floss in the drip plate and then stack pot scrubbies below that for bio-filtration along with the 2-3 bags of ceramics i kept laying around from when i went salt and a big wad of java moss at the bottom, how does that sound? sump is divided down the middle only thing on the right side would be the return pump

sweetzombiejesus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Los Angeles
so i was a the local store looking for pot scrubbies for my xp4, and i found some scotch brite scrubbies, however on the back of the package it states "not for aquarium use". Does that mean dont use to clean the glass of the aquarium or what.
also, i was wondering if anyone could explain why bio-balls are a wash in canisters, but not in wet/drys, but pot scrubbies are great in canisters. all you need is surface are for the bacteria to colonize right? so whats up?

jdhuegel1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2011
Frederick MD
I've read the entire thread and I am still wondering if the scrubbies are a good choice for a canister filter??
I have 3 Marineland Magnum 300's running a 125g freshwater native tank. On 2 filters the media canister is stuffed with pot scrubbies and has the mech sleeve on the outside. On the 3rd, the inside has lava rock and ceramic and the mech sleeve on the outside. I have no problems what so ever. Tank is stocked with a 3.5ft American eel, 8" bullhead catfish, 2 SMB and 1 LMB. They are CONSTANTLY eating and crapping. These are very hearty fish, but I'm certain the same setup would work for other fish.

On my 30g Cichlid tank I have a Rena XP2 with mech sponge at the bottom, scrubbies in the middle and carbon/ceramic up top. A second Penn Plex Cascade 500 has mech sponge and polishers in it. No issues.

I'm convinced scrubbies work in canisters.

Matter of fact, I have a Aqua Clear sump full of bio that I don't even have plans to install on the big tank because the 350s are doing so good w/scrubbies.

-Justin

Elwood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2011
St Louis
I don't understand wet/dry...? It is filtering water so it gets wet..
Also, I just bought my first canister. A used Marineland 330. It has bio balls in one of the baskets. The OP said that they lose abilities when submerged. But they are sold for this canister. I think I am missing something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store