Beginners Guide to Filter Media

Vassago33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2012
Panama City Florida
I have been experimenting with my canister filter lately. I have the bio-chem stars and the Fluval biomax in it right now. I am not a fan of the fluval prefilter media. I just couldn't see a big difference with them. I like the idea of a sump and have been looking into making one and this thread has given me some good ideas. Thank you for the info.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I have been experimenting with my canister filter lately. I have the bio-chem stars and the Fluval biomax in it right now. I am not a fan of the fluval prefilter media. I just couldn't see a big difference with them. I like the idea of a sump and have been looking into making one and this thread has given me some good ideas. Thank you for the info.
+1 api bio is the most porous I have seen

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
Nice thread and should be stickied... I got the sea sponge and scrubby shower sponge idea... So far keeping my 120 gallon 48x24x24 clean in my xp3...

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
in my experience socks work... I know it might sound weird but i had nothing else and gave it a try... lots of gunk that is filled with bb are on the socks in my filters... In my 75 gallon oscar tank with 1, 14 inch oscar i have an empor 400... i put a scrubby shower scrubvber in it and lots of lfs filter pad... works great and lots of gunk filled ith bb... In my experiene you don't need activated carbon... A majority or all my tanks have none of it... It may keeep water quality slightly better and make water clear but hands down biological is the best and the only required source of filtration IMO...

AQUAMONSTER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albany. NY
All media is great no matter what you use. Carbon isn't needed unless your medicating your tank. I'm staring to realize that canister filters are becoming a thing of the past atleast to me.

HOBs are getting better and more energy friendly. I use cut to fish pads and sponges in my aqueon 75s and they make my tanks spotless.

Sumps give you the best options for your media. For $100 you can make a DIY wet/dry sump that will out perform any canister filter. I plan on building one in the near future that will run all my tanks.

Sponge filters are the best of everything. These huge sponge filter are able to handle large tanks with the right air pumps. I use them on all my tanks aswell, along with large pumps and love it.

Sent from my LGL55C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
All media is great no matter what you use. Carbon isn't needed unless your medicating your tank. I'm staring to realize that canister filters are becoming a thing of the past atleast to me.

HOBs are getting better and more energy friendly. I use cut to fish pads and sponges in my aqueon 75s and they make my tanks spotless.

Sumps give you the best options for your media. For $100 you can make a DIY wet/dry sump that will out perform any canister filter. I plan on building one in the near future that will run all my tanks.

Sponge filters are the best of everything. These huge sponge filter are able to handle large tanks with the right air pumps. I use them on all my tanks aswell, along with large pumps and love it.

I use canisters beacause they are easier and the same price as sumps. But sumps are a little better...

Sent from my LS670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AQUAMONSTER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albany. NY
As easy as canisters are to use I still hate cleaning them. A DIY sump that does about 800gph will run you about $110 and do a much better job than any canister ever will. A sterilite dresser, 20 gallon tote, pvc pipe, pump, media and ur all set

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
As easy as canisters are to use I still hate cleaning them. A DIY sump that does about 800gph will run you about $110 and do a much better job than any canister ever will. A sterilite dresser, 20 gallon tote, pvc pipe, pump, media and ur all set
A other reason i like canisters is that the water is forced though the media...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store