Best Bang For Your Buck UV Sterilizer?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I'm looking at going with UV. What makes these your brands of choice? I was leaning towards Aqua myself. What is wrong with the twist tubes? The concept makes sense to me.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Cause I did lots of research, but what trumps my research is exactly what the last 2 guys in this thread mention. There's a guy named Ken that really knows water. I bought a turbo twist, had Ken crunch the numbers and they're junk. I bought one 3 times the size I needed and still only good enough to clarify.

Aqua UV are supposed to be great. My pockets aren't deep enough for their bulbs. I have an 80 watt unit that I'll likely be replacing based on bulb price. IF my pockets WERE deep enough I'd move right on up to Wlim. In my eyes they are the best UV money can buy.

Money aside Ken's advice, knowledge, and willingness to help others out is priceless, and that alone should speak about the quality of their product.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
I have turbo twist on my 2 ray tanks and never had ich,always crystal clear and never had a female ray get fungus or anything from the damage caused by the males! AND.....Drum roll... Never had a ray die!
All the fish stay healthy and that is good enough scientific evidence for me.

Easy to setup and install and not too expensive. Bulbs are readily available online or lfs.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I have turbo twist on my 2 ray tanks and never had ich,always crystal clear and never had a female ray get fungus or anything from the damage caused by the males! AND.....Drum roll... Never had a ray die!
All the fish stay healthy and that is good enough scientific evidence for me.

Easy to setup and install and not too expensive. Bulbs are readily available online or lfs.
You have UV CLARIFIERS at best on your tanks. I had an 18 watt on a 150 and it wasn't even enough to reach level 1 sterilization.

AND.....

Your advice is piss poor at best.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
You have UV CLARIFIERS at best on your tanks. I had an 18 watt on a 150 and it wasn't even enough to reach level 1 sterilization.

AND.....

Your advice is piss poor at best.
Kind of rude, dontcha think? He gave experience. Not advice.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Kind of rude, dontcha think? He gave experience. Not advice.

I guess I need to try harder to keep my mouth shut when it comes to letting the blind lead the blind.....

My apologies.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Sorry, same here. I run a 36w turbo twist on my 210 with a fx5 and never had any problems.
But for my ray tank, I'm going to get something bigger and better....

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Ok guys keep in in check here. We can talk facts/tech without talking smack.

We should clarify (no pun intended) the various uses of UV on a system (Water clarifier vs water sterilization/disinfection).
Some are good as clarifiers, but fail terribly as sterilizers/disinfectors). Some of the new technology allows extra long effective life in bulbs: 85-90 % effecient after 12,000 hours of operation (about a year and a half), where as some of the cheaper/lower quality units have a very short effective lifespan and will need to be replaced quite often (every other month).

Aside from that, the other main factor is bulb wattage vs contact time. I'm a HUGE fan of the Emporer Aquatics UV set ups.I've used them on various size tanks for everything from clarity to actual sterilization of incoming ocean water. No complaints at all. When I build systems, I use Emps.
I am currently working with the Aqua UV on the systems I operate. The ones I run are the Aqua UV Viper 400 watt (or two bulb 800 watt) units on a range of systems from 3,000 to 5,000 gallons. Not bad, but a very short contact time as the bulbs are horizontally mounted in the pipe.

With any UV system, make sure to be safe - use a flow switch. If water flow stops, those bulbs heat up very quickly and will catch fire. (As me how I know.) Few things can ruin a life support systems faster than a good UV/electrical fire.

The other thing to take into account is 'not having problems' in a tank and the UV actually being what is preventing them are two very different things. I've had tanks without problems and no UV. If I had an improper UV on them, it would have been the same result - but it doesn't mean the UV did anything, it just happened to be there.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I guess I need to try harder to keep my mouth shut when it comes to letting the blind lead the blind.....

My apologies.
As rodger was pointing out one doesn't need to be rude in order to correct misinformation, nor is it needed to add validity to how informative your past posts in this thread are. I'm sure your intelligent enough to get your point across without resorting to insulting someone else post.

For anyone interested this is my understanding regarding U.V. Sterilization and I've included some of the links that I got the information from. How accurate it is, is like all things on the internet is questionable. Still I think what follows is a decent base of knowledge for a novice considering a UV system as it does give an idea of how to crunch the numbers yourself when considering a UV sterilizer.

How they Work-
U.V. sterilizers/clarifiers work by exposing water to short wave UVC light which ionizes many atoms and molecules. This kills suspended bacteria and many viruses in the water column. It also has the added benefit of improving Redox in an aquarium. Proper Redox balance aids in fish immunity to disease,infection and their ability to heal. Therefore proper U.V. sterilization aids your tanks overall health two fold. 1-by killing many bacteria and viruses and 2-by improving fish immunity through balanced Redox.

How Effective are They-
How effective they are is based on water flow, dwell/exposure time and uv sterilization level.

Water Flow, Dwell/exposure Time UV Sterilization Level-
Necessary dwell/exposure time is affected by many factors including suspended particles in the water column, whether the water is in direct contact with the UV or if it's through a quartz sleeve as well as the distance of the water from the exposure source in the unit. Unfortunately most manufactures give little to no information in regards to this about their product. Usually you'll only know whether the UV is in direct contact or through a sleeve and perhaps the wavelength of the radiation being emitted by the UV light. So we'll use some very basic calculations to determine dwell/exposure time in relation to flow. Mind you these calculations are based on 1-low water turbidity 2-A water temperature between 20 C (68 F) and 40 C (104 F) 3-a gap of .3 mm or less between the bulb or quartz sleeve and the wall of the unit 4-good water flow pattern inside the aquarium or pond. 5-a clean Quartz sleeve/lamp and a hot cathode low pressure UV bulb/lamp with less than 6 months continuous use. As such these are not definitive calculations but a guideline. If you wish to increase efficiency you should decrease the gph/increase dwell time as much as possible to make the UV sterilizer/clarifier more effective.

UV-C UseFlow Rate (generalized)Turnover Rate
Clarification;
(Green water control; Aquarium/Pond)
The most popular application for ponds
40-50 gph per watt
(50-60 gph High Exposure/Dwell UV or even 70+ gph with Super High Exposure Pro Clear UV30)
Once per 2-3 hours
Level One Sterilization
(Bacteria, some Virus)
The most common & recommended aquarium application
20-30 gph per watt
(30-35 gph High Exposure/Dwell UV)
1.5 times per hour
Level Two Sterilization
(Parasites, “Stubborn” Viruses; Recommended for Swimming Pools)
Under 8 gph per watt
(8-12 gph High Exposure/Dwell UV)
3 to 4 times per hour

Words of Warning-
The vast majority of U.V. sterilizers on the market aren't created equal. In general you get what you pay for and there is no exception here. The affordable intank sterilizers/clarifiers are in general inferior to their inline counterparts. They can generally be counted on though to help control algae and in some instances the higher wattage units will perform some degree of Level One Sterilization. All models though should generally increase the Redox of your aquarium.

Dispelling Some Myths-

Biological Filtration Killer-
U.V. sterilizers/clarifiers willnot kill beneficial biological bacteria in your tank. The basis for the biological filtration in your tank is within your filter and to a lesser extent your substrate,glass,ornaments and water column. The least amount of concentration being in the water column which is the only bacteria that can be destroyed by the U.V. as they are the only bacteria being passed through it's radiation. As such no matter how effective the UV sterilizer/clarifier is it should never effect your biological filtration detrimentally.

No more Algae-
No matter how effective the sterilizer/clarifier is it's incapable of filtering all your water at once. As such the sterilized water returned to the water column is constantly mixing with un-sterilized water and makes total sterilization impossible. So while it will slow proliferation of algae and generally keep your water clear it won't stop algae from growing in your tank all together.

No more Disease-
It's important to note a UV sterilizer no matter how effective does not rid a tank of disease. It merely kills most bacteria and viruses suspended in the water column. That means some will also survive in the water column and doesn't even consider what might be living within ornaments, substrate, glass or fish. Just as with algae it merely helps control the rate of proliferation and to an extent concentration of hazardous organisms in your tank's water column it does not eliminate them all.

** Redox ** last updated 12/20/2012
** Ultraviolet Sterilization ** last updated 3/5/2012
** Fish Immune System and UV Sterilization ** last updated 9/6/2012

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Back to the original question.
What's the best UV for it's price?

Does a person have to spend over a Grand to get a good sterilizer?

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store