Best Bang For Your Buck UV Sterilizer?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
can you recommend a UV brand for about $145 that meets the technical data?
Nope. There's no way for me to know what does or doesn't meet the technical data. I'm no professional, just someone that's been burnt by buying a cheap UV and only know this cause I contacted a pro for help.

IF $145 was all I could afford I'd do the same thing I did, keep saving and wait another year. If that's all you can justify spending I'd just go without one. At least you wouldn't be wasting your money on snake oil.

The last thing I'd do is waste money on something I can't even be sure is working properly without professional help.

I'd contact Ken, explain what your after and go with what he recommends, regardless of how long it takes before you can buy, at least you know your money is well spent on a UV that you KNOW is actually doing something. :)

cjfrontlovr

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2006
denver,nc..
Nope. There's no way for me to know what does or doesn't meet the technical data. I'm no professional, just someone that's been burnt by buying a cheap UV and only know this cause I contacted a pro for help.

IF $145 was all I could afford I'd do the same thing I did, keep saving and wait another year. If that's all you can justify spending I'd just go without one. At least you wouldn't be wasting your money on snake oil.

The last thing I'd do is waste money on something I can't even be sure is working properly without professional help.

I'd contact Ken, explain what your after and go with what he recommends, regardless of how long it takes before you can buy, at least you know your money is well spent on a UV that you KNOW is actually doing something. :)
nice to see you finally realized this

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I've got a chance to pick up a 400 w Viper but it needs a bulb.
Is it possible to use a smaller wattage bulb in this unit?
400 w is a little over kill and the bulb is pretty expensive.
What do the pros think?
Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
The Viper units only work with their designed bulb.
They need the 400 watts because they have a very low contact time. Vipers as designed for large volume / high flow applications. I run several of them. In fact on the 5, 000 gallon in the shark build thread I have twin 400 watt units plumbed in.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I thought I had posted this link, but I can't find it. This is some basic tech from Aquatic Eco Systems about proper UV applications.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/pages/1/Tech-Talk-Index#TU

Click on the UV section. It won't let me link it directly for some reason.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Many of us have started using bacteria for septic tanks in our systems, sometimes refered as probiotics. Since these need to be added to the system periodically I wonder how UV will affect it. I bring this up because I noticed one of the bacteria strains listed in the previously linked article is killed by UV at a high rate. Would these two types of filtration not mix?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Do you mean like adding beneficial bacteria? Like " Seachem Stability" or some thing like that? As most beneficial bacteria live on tank decor and especially in filtration media...pond matrix/sponges so on and very few compared tot he amount living in the filtration are in the water column so there is a possibility that beneficial bacteria in the water column could be effected however should be a problem at all....could be mistaken hopefully some one will chime in.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
nice to see you finally realized this
Finally???? I realized this after buying my very first UV for my pup tank..... Bought a sterilizer that hardly qualifies to clarify.

I know you get what you pay for, my problem lies in having enough to pay for it. Seems to be a reoccurring problem too..... lol. Some day I'll have nice UVs, but for now what I have seems to produce decent numbers.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
Aqua medic helix max 55 watt are what I use. I run two inline they are very good quality and don't cost a lot & you get a massive sterilizer for price of a small expensive one.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store