Best bottled bacteria/instant cycle product?

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Explain to me how aerobic bacteria survives in an air tight bottle without a food source ;)

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Which is exactly the same way that aerobic probiotic bacteria (spores) survive in air tight containers.

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Ive used stability and safestart with great success..I think people who dont think it works are the stubborn old timers who either have never used it, or didnt use it correctly...the stuff works period

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I wasn't saying it doesn't work--not at all. I was just qualifying my experience. I figured David was gonna be doing this with expensive fish cause he likes Pleco's and they ship a long ways where he's at. SafeStart definitely did work for me. Ammonia never got high, never saw any Nitrite, and never lost a fish. I was pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I figured David was gonna be doing this with expensive fish cause he likes Pleco's and they ship a long ways where he's at.
You're right about the first bit, and they have shipped a long way to get here, but because of our biosecurity laws they then spend about two months in quarantine before they're allowed to be wholesaled and they've been at the LFS since Wednesday, so it's not like I'm picking them up straight off the plane from Brasil (unfortunately!). I'll pick them up on Sunday, then it's just a two hour car ride home from there. Getting excited!!

For interest sake I'll keep testing the parameters of the quarantine tank and see what happens with the continued dosing of Stability.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Quarantine tank has been running for three days now, no ammonia spike at all, been feeding heavily too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Cool glad it's working.
What are you using? I just picked up a bottle of API quick start for my 160.
I need to move my Gar over to it in the next few weeks ( two weeks tops) and the tank has only been running since Sept 30th with 4 Aussie rainbows, a fat head minnow, common pleco, native sun fish, and sens bichir. all around 3 inches. accept the birchir hes about 5 inches.

Both filters are "new" so after reading this thread I figures I'd give it a try.

I do plan on moving a sponge filter over from the tank GARfield is in, but I'm waiting on the hurricane 5 air pump to arrive.
SO now that I wrote you a novel.
What bio chem additive did you add?

Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store