Best canister filter?

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
I think I'm going to go with 2 rena xl3s for my 150g tanks. The web site says 1 can handle up to 175g so 2 of them should really make my tank look good. Does any one kno what it actually comes with in terms of filter material and meadia?

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
I think I'm going to go with 2 rena xl3s for my 150g tanks. The web site says 1 can handle up to 175g so 2 of them should really make my tank look good. Does any one kno what it actually comes with in terms of filter material and meadia?
They come with no media and two should be enough if you are lightly stocked but Rena was pretty generous when they said one will handle 175. They are good filters but I think 75-90 gallons per xp3 is closer.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
I've never had an eheim, I've had a fluval 406 , I liked it but only good for maybe a 75g.now I have an fx5 , really like this filter, my only complaint about it is the cheaply made lock down knobbs . replacing 3 of them right now.only sold individually. No bulk packs.$6+ each is the cheapest I could find them.

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
is it the plastic that has broken? i have replaced the bolt and nut inside with some plain old nuts and bolts from home depot. they just pop out with a little persuasion.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Rena XPL come with three baskets and three sponges. One is a course sponge and two finer sponges. Two hoses about 4-5 ft. There is absolutely no media included. You can get fluval bio media, eheim media, pond matrix or bio home media if you want a really nice setup. I personally do not like to use the sponges because they are not coarse enough. I replace it with a coarse pond sponge and add marineland bonded pads to filter finer particles. I can easily go longer without cleaning.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I will never buy another new canister besides an Eheim classic. I would buy used Fluvals with the pump on top if they were cheap enough. Never another hunk o junk FX.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pigoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2013
United States
I LIKED MY FLUVAL ..BUT,,,the the latches break pretty easy...the eheims seem to be designed much better, I would venture to say that pretty much anybody that has had a fluval has broken a latch (if they've had it for a few years)
I hear what you're saying. I have 3 Fluvals (one 305 and two 405's). As I'm sure you know...you're supposed to be able to use the latches to open the filter for cleaning.

I used to do this...but always thought that wayyy too much force was being put on the latches when doing this...so I stopped doing it. Now I use my fingernails to open the filter. Certainly a lot harder...but I haven't broken a latch yet! :)

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I have a Rena Filstar Xp3, which is great in all areas except priming. It always takes me multiple attempts. When I fill when priming it never goes all the way to the top, so I have to quickly undo one latch and then clamp it shut once the vacuum pulls the water to the top. Then when I start it sometimes the level of the water drops again and I have to empty the entire filter and start again. Drives me crazy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store