Best Friends

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Yeah I'm gonna try to go full planted, I like kessil lights a lot so I might try to go with their plant light version. I have the 2 kessil 360we on my 120 gal reef and I really like the features of the pendant light and the program controller. Sometimes plants are tough to keep with discus if I have to raise the temperature to around 88 degrees. Sorry for the derail. If the tusk is already eating clams on a half shell he's nice and healthy probably gonna get really thick on that diet. I've been feeding my fish pe mysis, they gobble that up but my nitrate levels are climbing so I'm hoping to start feeding something else that's not as oily or messy. What else are you feeding your tank beside the nori and clams?
I had a discus tank while with some fake plants from hobby lobby that were pretty easy to keeep clean but I couldn't manage plants with either my angels or discus.

I haven't feed clams. That was the lfs. I feed a mixture of formula two, mysis, brine shrimp with sprunila, nori, fresh shell on shrimp for the puffer, and krill occasionally for colors on the butterfly.

The tusk and puffer are both trying to hand feed but I'm too scared to do it after I got bit by my last puffer.

dude...55 at best...I'm not trying to drop 2k on a tank lol.
You going full out reef? Look into the bio cube line. They're awesome. I have a friend who does seahorses in a 29 and I have a 14 reef that I love.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I had a discus tank while with some fake plants from hobby lobby that were pretty easy to keeep clean but I couldn't manage plants with either my angels or discus.

I haven't feed clams. That was the lfs. I feed a mixture of formula two, mysis, brine shrimp with sprunila, nori, fresh shell on shrimp for the puffer, and krill occasionally for colors on the butterfly.

The tusk and puffer are both trying to hand feed but I'm too scared to do it after I got bit by my last puffer.

You going full out reef? Look into the bio cube line. They're awesome. I have a friend who does seahorses in a 29 and I have a 14 reef that I love.
the only issue I have with salt is number 1 the amount of time and equipment they take. and number 2 everything seems so fragile lol I do like the cubes though so that may be the right option

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
the only issue I have with salt is number 1 the amount of time and equipment they take. and number 2 everything seems so fragile lol I do like the cubes though so that may be the right option
Yeah saltwater definitely requires some more equipment. A reef tank needs a good skimmer, I also run a auto top off to keep parameters steady so there's no rise in salt level, the lighting is expensive. Basically saltwater fowlr is at least 4 times the price of a freshwater tank and I'd say a reef is 8 times more expensive then a freshwater tank in terms of equipment and livestock. Corals have gotten very expensive I think I have at least 5k invested in just a 120 and that's just a rough estimate probably more but I don't want to think about it hahaha. Corals are extremely fragile, lps corals sometimes recede for no reason at all even with perfect parameters and sps are very difficult if your water isn't pristine

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The thing that bothered me the most was the water changes was basically pouring money down the drain since the saltwater has to be made up each time.

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
The thing that bothered me the most was the water changes was basically pouring money down the drain since the saltwater has to be made up each time.
Yeah weekly water changes cost money, I spend about 60 in salt a month. Not to mention when you make ro water it takes up a lot more water then just taking it from the tap but in order to be successful you have to make sacrifices in saltwater

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store