Best Silicone for resealing large tanks

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Guess its time to just nut up already and commit. Trying to get this done on saturday To get this stage over with so I can work my filtration plan through
I got a few tanks Ill be doing this week myself.....my biggest problem is overthinking things, when I just need to get up and start working on them

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
IME and IMHO, GE silicone 1 is fine and used often, by small-scale professionals too. Don't use GE II as it has anti-mold additives that are toxic.

Also, it's not so much the kind of silicone that matters because all 100% silicones are equal in my limited understanding. It's the approach. The hands-down best approach is to remove the whole glass panel, clean off the old silicone, and silicone the panel over again. Just redoing the inside seams is a band aid IMHO and in this case low effort = poor reliability.

If worried and/or for extra strength and safety margin, can add a glass strip, e.g., 3/8" thick by 1.5" wide along the bottom, the entire length. That buys a lot of safety. This is how large scale professionals do it.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
For what it's worth guys anything over 200g just use the SCS if you can because that's what it's made for. Structural applications

Reactions: soupa2
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store