Best temp for Amazon Sword?

Alex562

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2015
I have been keeping my temp around 82 but I noticed my Amazon Sword is turning yellow. Does temp affect live plants? If so what's the best temp?

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Temperatures can have an affect on plants, but if the leaves are turning yellow points to an iron deficiency, meaning there's not enough iron for the plants which is why I always put 3-4 root tabs near any Swords, vals, and cryptocoryne's because they're heavy root feeding plants.

Alex562

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2015
Its also growing brown algae. So temp has no affect? Would having higher temp take out some of the oxygen in my tank affecting my plants?

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
A higher temperature does have an affect on the amount of oxygen in the water, for instance... Here in Colorado the Department of Wildlife won't stock any body of water during higher temperatures because of this reason.

What some people do is hook up an air pump and only turn it on at night, because at night plants breath in oxygen and only take in carbon dioxide during the day time.

What type of root tabs are you using?

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
The thing about buying the osmocote root tabs off of ebay, is that there's no way to know if they are really osmocote plus or if it's just plain osmocote. This is why I always tell people to pick up osmocote plus from Home Depot...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Osmocote...MERCH=REC-_-nosearch3_rr-_-NA-_-204687687-_-N

And then buy empty capsules off ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000-EMPTY-...641439?hash=item1e89f6565f:g:zlkAAMXQwwlSAsVW

That's the exact person on ebay I buy my capsules from, but I found my 4.5lb Osmocote Plus original with calcium back in 2014 off ebay (it was a lucky find) but because the Scott's company sold the Osmocote Plus formula to a company in Israel the new company took out calcium from the formula.

But just to let you know there's over 16 different kinds of Osmocote, go to this website and scroll down and you'll see why I tell people to buy their own from Home Depot.

http://agr.wa.gov/pestfert/fertilizers/FertDB/Product1.aspx?ltr=O

Last edited:

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
OK. So 82 is a good temp for the sword
Hello; I have grown sword's for decades. I do not use the air conditioning except on very hot nights during the summer. My tank temps have often gotten up to 90 degrees F during this hot portion of the year. Those same tanks can be down to around 70 degrees F during the winter months. The swords and other plants have fluorished under those conditions and have lived for years.

I do use some sort of solid fert placed into the substrate near the roots on my swords.

Reactions: Alex562

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
OK. So 82 is a good temp for the sword?
Similar to fish, increased temps speed up both metabolic and photosynthetic processes. Simply put, the plant works harder/faster to draw nutrients, thus putting more stress on it. Now, with a hardy plant like Amazon Sword, it's certainly not going to hurt it with temps around 82F. However, a constant temp that high is unnecessary for it to thrive. I keep my planted tank(s) around 74-76F and my swords are throwing out new leaves every two days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store