Best Walmart find

fisheater

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Louisville,ky
I know not alot of folks shop for fish-or will admit it-at Walmart.I dont really either but everytime i stop in i make it a habit to go over and look anyway and have found some great fish mixed in every once in a blue moon and always dirt cheap.Actuaaly a couple of my favorite fish i found there,not the fanciest fish but some of my first.I have a couple of Peacock eel i picked up there last year for 2.50,found a real nice Strawberry peacock mixed in the african tank for 5 bucks,Last summer i got 4 three inch clown loaches for 6 bucks a peice.With out a bash fest whats been a good find for you all there.
Again no bash fest there tanks there arent the greatest but we have all seen some poorly managed tanks at Lfs too.

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
At Meijer(another department store) I found leopard danios. There were quite a few mixed in with the zebras. They had a really hard time catching them out of the zebra danio school. Danios were on sale for $1 a piece. I don't think they are exactly rare, because I found an online shop that sells the long tailed version for $1.99. I have never seen them in other shops though.

I check out Wal-mart's fish isle a lot, but don't really intend to buy from them. They do have what looks like four-lined pims mixed in with their pictus though. Wish I would have known about that before I went to all of the trouble to get a couple.

rnocera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I've never bought any from there, but I've seen several different types of plecos mixed in with their standard plecos. I'm not positive which type it was, but one time I saw one that resembled a gold nugget! It definitely had bright yellow spots, and a yellow fin. I wanted to buy it, but I didn't have a tank set up, and at the time I was still living with my dad who nixed the idea. That would've been a find and a half! Even now the LFS I work in sells gold nuggets for $30 each. That $2.50 ones at Wal-Mart would've been a steal and a half.

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
ive seen angelicus botias which are normally pricey at walmart for $4 or so. ive also seen a few different plecos. the only thing ive actually bought that was cool was a senegal polyp for $5:)

dravesef

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2008
milwaukee
in milwaukee at one of the wal marts there 5.00 green spotted puffers that were pretty nice sized, i didn't buy any but thought that was a pretty good deal

ersico

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
SOUTH CAROLINA
ive gotten 3 butterfly koi from mine for bout 5.88......they only sold them there for a month or soo but i still have one of them...and it is beautiful..............
every now and then my wife will score a solid black lionhead.............they are too cute..........

Toodleypops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Washington
my walmart never differs from its stock.... in 10 years ive never seen anything cooler than GSPs which i still think are sweet... actually my first afro cichs were from walmart... $2 each, ended up with a Purple Kenyi who became the dominant one and what looked like a red zebra/yellow lab mix that schooled with my danios and white clouds i ahd in the tank

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Years ago the Wal-Mart near me had a very knowledgeable fish department guy that use to order some pretty cool stuff. I actually bought my Florida/Spotted Gar from there for $17.99 about 8 years ago and I still have him today.

comando489

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
Buffalo, NY
i actually got my first 55gal tank there. it was an open box special and it came with everything for like $80

Guapote

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
Slam Gabriel Valley, SoCal
comando489;2518271; said:
i actually got my first 55gal tank there. it was an open box special and it came with everything for like $80
I also got my first tank from Wal-Mart. After that.......nothing! The fish always have ich and they always seem to have TONS of Pacu and Oscars; fish they don't even sell a tank latge enough to house after a year or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store