Birding!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I've been a birder since childhood; not sure which came first for me, birding or aquariums, but both started in the single-digit age range. My wife enjoys it very casually; she likes seeing and hearing birds in the yard, and enjoys pleasant day-trips in good weather in search of rarities. I am a bit more involved, but still pretty casual compared to the real hard-core birders. I keep a life-list, and also a property-list for my own land, a listing of all bird species seen or heard on my own property. I have the list from my previous property in Ontario, where I lived for about 12 years, and am now keeping a second such property-list for my current home in Manitoba, where we have now been for just over 12 years.

Interestingly, the total number of species seen on my land in that time period in Ontario was 146. In a similar time-span, the total is 143 for my current property. There is much overlap in the two lists, and of course there are some species that were seen only here or only there as well. I'm not much of a record-keeper; if I want to look up a specific interesting observation I made in the past, I usually just search through the archived messages on a local birding website. Unlike dyed-in-the-wool birders, I can't tell you the earliest date that a Robin has appeared in spring, or exactly how many Barn Swallows were fledged from the colony in the eaves of the shed last year. It's a fun thing for me, don't want it turning into a tedious chore.

My wife is a better record keeper, but with a somewhat different focus. She doesn't count birds or species or individuals...but her inherently thrifty and mathematical bent leads her to constantly update me with how much money we spend on birdseed! When we first started feeding birds on our land in Ontario, we bought a 15-pound bag of cheapo mixed seed at the grocery store and it lasted for months. But...as you feed them...more of them start to show up...eating more food...which necessitates buying more and more of it...it's a vicious cycle!

Today I will be heading into town to pick up another 50-lb bag of Black Oil Sunflower seeds. We will be going through one such bag about every two weeks throughout the winter, served up in a half-dozen birdfeeders around the yard. Some are little commercially-produced feeders; others are DIY wooden jobs that hold about 30 pounds of seed per filling. All are crowded with winter birds. We also have a couple of XXL suet feeders, filled with the fat from last year's deer. At the rate it is going, I may have to get more fat or suet before the end of the winter to keep the woodpeckers, nuthatches, chickadees and jays satisfied. We also use much smaller quantities of dried fruits and/or mealworms periodically, to provide for specific oddball birds that show up looking for a handout.

In Ontario, we had a vulture feeder, consisting of a 4x4-foot sheet of plywood mounted at the top of a 10-foot pole. It kept the road-kills I would occasionally come home with (fresh only!) off the ground so that they wouldn't be stolen by coyotes. I'm thinking about building another one here; I already have an owl/kestrel/shrike feeder that I keep supplied with mice and voles caught in traps in my outbuildings.

We have nest-boxes situated for Kestrels, smaller owls (Screech and Saw-whet) and Flickers; I also just built another dozen Bluebird and Tree Swallow boxes, which will bring the total of those on our place up around 30. They're all carefully designed, correctly sized and proportioned for the target species, with the correct size of entry holes and mounted at optimum heights. We've had excellent success with Tree Swallows, as well as decent numbers of fledged Kestrels and Bluebirds.

Birding is a lot like aquarium-keeping in some ways. It can be made as simple or as complicated as one wishes; it can be done expensively or very cheaply; it allows for a great deal of DIY for those who enjoy that; and it's a way to connect with nature. Like fish-keeping...or, for that matter, hunting and fishing...it gives one the chance to actually participate in the natural process rather than merely sitting on the sidelines as an observer.

How about it? Any other backyard birders and/or closet naturalists in the MFK ranks? I can't be the only one. :)

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
My wife and I keep several grain and suet feeders around the house. Mostly small passerines plus jays, peckers and other small birds, as well as the occasional hawks and owls. Growing up in Colombia, the scene just outside the city was remarkable. My brother is a very avid birder and conservationist, and owns an amazing small reserve where a remarkable variety of large and small birds and monsly small mammals still occur. His business of bird watching expeditions in mainly western Colombia gets lots of local and foreign business. Zen Expeditions. Check them out.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I wouldn't consider myself a birder but fascinated by them. Actually put up a hummingbird feeder 😆
Occasional sightings of Redtail Hawks, and Peregrine Falcons. Blue Jay, Cardinal, Sparrow, and Robin's are common.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I wouldn't consider myself a birder but fascinated by them. Actually put up a hummingbird feeder 😆
Occasional sightings of Redtail Hawks, and Peregrine Falcons. Blue Jay, Cardinal, Sparrow, and Robin's are common.
I've seen Redhead Woodpeckers the young ones are attracted to hummingbird feeders. When I was a young child went the school library would look at books of birds.
Fascinating creatures imo.

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Around winter time last year I invested in a telephoto lens for my camera. Once Spring and Summer came around I found myself sitting on the back porch, cup of coffee in hand, for hours at a time photographing whatever birds decided to venture into our yard. My photo taking skills still could use a lot of improvement, nonetheless it’s been very fun so far. This upcoming season I plan on taking this out to some of my go-to hiking trails.IMG_1612.jpegIMG_1616.jpeg
IMG_1055.jpeg
Common grackles have become my favorite birds to look at. I just recently found out too that a group of grackles is called a “plague”. Which is just an incredibly cool name lol.
IMG_1717.jpeg
Gray catbirds. These guys make a pretty interesting noise. Just like their name suggests, it’s reminiscent of a cat’s meow.
IMG_1037.jpeg
IMG_1034.jpegIMG_1089.jpegHouse sparrows are easily the most common bird in the area. Still love seeing them. The male in last photo took over our bird house in the yard. For about a month I’d watch him almost everyday. He’d chirp away on the branches of the maple tree in back, I’m assuming calling for a potential mate. Never saw the little guy with a female though and one day he just disappeared.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Around winter time last year I invested in a telephoto lens for my camera. Once Spring and Summer came around I found myself sitting on the back porch, cup of coffee in hand, for hours at a time photographing whatever birds decided to venture into our yard. My photo taking skills still could use a lot of improvement, nonetheless it’s been very fun so far. This upcoming season I plan on taking this out to some of my go-to hiking trails.View attachment 1533516View attachment 1533519
View attachment 1533520
Common grackles have become my favorite birds to look at. I just recently found out too that a group of grackles is called a “plague”. Which is just an incredibly cool name lol.
View attachment 1533521
Gray catbirds. These guys make a pretty interesting noise. Just like their name suggests, it’s reminiscent of a cat’s meow.
View attachment 1533522
View attachment 1533523View attachment 1533524House sparrows are easily the most common bird in the area. Still love seeing them. The male in last photo took over our bird house in the yard. For about a month I’d watch him almost everyday. He’d chirp away on the branches of the maple tree in back, I’m assuming calling for a potential mate. Never saw the little guy with a female though and one day he just disappeared.
Excuse me, your pictures still need improvement?! Those pictures are good enough to be in a book, like seriously. Great shots!

• Love
Reactions: Matth05

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
While I don't really do bird-watching, I do enjoy watching the local birds at the many feeders we have up in the yard. We usually have starlings, sparrows, wrens, finches, robins, doves, cardinals, squirrels (😆) , and hummingbirds in the summer. Oh, and the occasional bluejay as well. My personal favorite is the hummingbirds.

Reactions: jjohnwm and Matth05

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I love birds as well. But not a birder per say... rather keeping them instead. Some of you remember Phoenix
20220718_082228.jpg
Sadly I don't have him anymore, but when I get to the Philippines I plan on getting a Scarlett Macaw, or another Sunny.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’m not super heavy into birdwatching, but whenever I see one nearby I’ll stop to look.
Mostly common birds by me, but I do get some occasional nice ones:
IMG_0928.jpeg
IMG_0882.jpegIMG_7476.jpeg
IMG_0678.jpeg

puffers4puffers

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
Kensington CA
I love birds as well. But not a birder per say... rather keeping them instead. Some of you remember Phoenix
View attachment 1533531
Sadly I don't have him anymore, but when I get to the Philippines I plan on getting a Scarlett Macaw, or another Sunny.
I had one of these flying screaming can opener!
It hated the kids (it was there first)
Bit anyone that came to visit
Had the good fortune for it to fly away....
Into a newly widowed women’s house!
To live happy there

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store