Birding!

puffers4puffers

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
Kensington CA
Another win for using scientific names instead of common - but you wouldn’t think that would matter for an easily identifiable species…
I guess I’ll go back to my usual identification behavior - “big bird, small bird, that one looks like a dove”
It’s sad to think that there’s actually people out there who see a bird or an insect (like Gypsy - sorry, spongy - moths) and get offended by its name.
I wonder when this fish will get its name changed:
Or does it not matter unless 2-3 people are offended by the name?
Will the killdeer (one of my favorite birds ever since they nested in my backyard) get renamed because PETA doesn’t like anything that promotes animal cruelty (except themselves)?
PETA: people eating tasty animals
nature ain’t friendly!

agree using scientific names…

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
SE USA
Although I'm probably more entrenched in the "casual birder" category now than I was in my youth, I have had an interest in birds since my childhood. I was a "country boy" trapped in the big city. I grew up in the suburbs of Los Angeles and satisfied my nature bent by putting up bird feeders and keeping tropical fish. My dad had built my sister a playhouse, really quite a substantial construction, with a main floor and upstairs "attic". The upstairs was my hangout. It had a screened window on each end and I put up a tray feeder right outside the window. I could lay there, invisible to the birds behind the screen, and watch birds for hours, just a few inches away.

I had a book called "Hand Taming Wild Birds at the Feeder" by Alfred G. Martin. I ordered it from an advertisement on the back of a 5 lb. bag of birdseed (which sold for $0.49 as I recall). I read it cover-to-cover so many times I had portions memorized. It was my dream to hand tame birds like the author, but I was never successful with any but hummingbirds. Perhaps L.A. birds are more wary of humans than those in Great Pond, ME from where Mr. Martin hailed.

I do keep a seed feeder going year round and put up 14 hummingbird feeders from March to October. At peak season, I go through a gallon and a half of nectar per day. I was intrigued jjohnwm by your feeding vultures, hawks, shrikes, etc. In my book, that's going all out! I've always been too lazy even to try to attract insect and fruit eaters with mealworms, oranges, jelly and the like.

Got to share this story. When my girls were very young, we caught a mouse in a live trap in the house. I was going to feed it to my snake, but the girls wouldn't hear of it saying it had "such cute eyes". So we loaded into the car and drove a mile or so from the house to give the "cute" mouse its freedom. The girls crowded close as I lifted the trap door and let the mouse out. They were delighted to see it bound away heading for cover. As we turned to get back in the car, I caught a flash of motion behind us. Looking back I saw a Sparrow Hawk (American Kestrel) lighting on a nearby power line with our mouse in its talons, likely celebrating its good fortune to be in just the right place at just the right time. I hustled the girls into the car and home we went, they never knew the rest of the story.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I’m sure the more experienced birders can confirm, but I think both are red tailed hawks - or at least the second one is.
The first could be a coopers or rough legged.

Plenty of other raptors by me too - I regularly see hawks, vultures (turkey and black), herons, and the occasional bald eagle.
I’ve yet to see any owls, but being nocturnal definitely doesn’t help.
.....an owl would be cool to see,I have never seen one before.

Reactions: Deadeye and Matth05

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
When I lived over in Vancouver, there was a nest with a breeding pair of owls. Nest was high up in this great big ol' fir tree. Couldn't see the nest, but could here the fledglings when either of the parents returned.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I love owls! My current property has hosted 6 species, including Snowies and the magnificent Great Grey which spent an entire winter right in my backyard.

Throwing dead mice onto a plywood platform 10 feet in the air doesn't seem so silly when a bird like that is sitting up in a tree and glaring down at you. :)

And Great Horned Owls...as big and impressive as they may be...are actually surprisingly common throughout most of NA.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I love owls! My current property has hosted 6 species, including Snowies and the magnificent Great Grey which spent an entire winter right in my backyard.

Throwing dead mice onto a plywood platform 10 feet in the air doesn't seem so silly when a bird like that is sitting up in a tree and glaring down at you. :)

And Great Horned Owls...as big and impressive as they may be...are actually surprisingly common throughout most of NA.
Lucky you! I have seen many species of owls in my lifetime, but none more impressive than the Great Grey Owl. For those of you that have never seen this bird up close, check it out.

The Great Gray Owl (youtube.com)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store