Birding!

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I am not an avid birder or even a hobbyist level ornithologist, but growing up in the bush I have a profound love of uncaged birds, and non-invasive birds.
A few of my favorite birds in no particular order are : Pics not mine!
African
Hoepoe
1709865877068.png

Shoebill - the lungfish eater
1709865933272.png

Bee eaters
1709866697353.png

Paradise whydah
1709866126556.png

Helmeted Guinea Fowl
1709866359987.png

Livingstone's Turaco
1709866465662.png

Hornbills
1709866510632.png

And in general I love the intelligence of the Corvid family. Especially pied crows.
1709866664996.png

In Asia I really love the Taiwanese bird called the Taiwan Barbet or 5 colored bird
1709866603369.png
and Japanese White Eyes
1709866630997.png

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Lol. That top picture of that stunning Hoopoe brings back some very early childhood memories.

I had a birdspotters guide to British birds when I was a kid and the Hoopoe, with it's stunning head dress was in the book!!

So, naive 8 year old Esox was constantly on the look out for this Hoopoe. I thought it would land in my garden one day along with the robins, blue tits and chaffinches!

Sadly, the Hoopoe never did land in my back garden.

I didn't find out until some time later that the Hoopoe would never land in my northern back garden. It was from much sunnier climates and only very very occasionally was it sighted in southern England.

So, everytime I see the Hoopoe now I am transported back, lol.

Lovely bird though.

Redshark1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
I found this bird in a car park when I went for a walk in the woods. It seemed tame and let me approach while it fed on weed seeds. When I got close I could see it was a Canary which had presumably escaped. Recently there have been a lot of Ring-necked Parakeets in my area of Leeds, West Yorkshire as they have become established in the wild.

2021.08.19 Domestic Canary Serinus canaria domestica Old Leos Car Park Adel Woods Steve Joul.jpg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I found this bird in a car park when I went for a walk in the woods. It seemed tame and let me approach while it fed on weed seeds. When I got close I could see it was a Canary which had presumably escaped. Recently there have been a lot of Ring-necked Parakeets in my area of Leeds, West Yorkshire as they have become established in the wild.

View attachment 1537190
The UK has quite an impressive and widespread wild population of these supposedly tropical birds. That one is quite drab. In some local parks not far away from where I live you get the odd bright green parakeet.

To say they look out of place is the understatement of the century, lol. But they do seem to be thriving and spreading further north year on year.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas

View attachment 1537190
We had a canary very similar to that one, we sold it, but it had the exact same coloration O_O

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I had a couple male Eastern Towhees (previously called Rufous-sided Towhees) late last week when the weather was still warm.

I have also seen about a dozen Turkey Vultures soaring in the sky the last couple days and since it's been so breezy, watching them ride the thermals has been fascinating.

Reactions: RD. and jjohnwm

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I was looking through some older photos and came across this little guy that we ran into on the slopes of mauna kea, hawaii. It was the only critter i spotted there at around 12000 ft, sorta like a cross between a grouse and a quail, i dont know what it was.20220707_174114.jpg

Reactions: deeda and jjohnwm

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Here in San Diego, CA, Japanese White Eyes are an example of an escaped bird who is making a population from breeding in the wild. Ive seen them a couple times, probably 2nd or 3rd generation birds.

Being the son of an ornothologist, I am quite the birder. I make it a point to wherever I go out of state get atleast 50 bird species. I believe my combined total would exceed 600 if I actually kept track, of course counting the birds out of country too.

My favorite bird ive seen in terms of beauty are hands down the ones in costa rica. When I went, I went to 3 different towns, La Fortuna (touristy), Siripiquí (middle, flat), and Cahuita (Caribbean, borders Panamá). This, of course, provided a diverse birding area, despite being in such close proximity to each other due to Costa Rica being so small. I think I ended with only 124 birds, I tried my hardest to get to 150, but for that I should’ve gone to the Pacific side as well as central and eastern. Anyways, I got to see some crazy tropical colorful birds. Heres a couple pictures.

#1 male Gartered Trogan
#2 Rufous-tailed Hummingbird
#3 Green Honeycreeper
#4 Bay-headed Tanager

IMG_3423.jpeg

IMG_3422.jpeg

IMG_3398.jpeg

IMG_3396.jpeg

My next birding trip is to San Miguel Island, a Channel Island. Problem is that there are very few camp sites and I believe it is quite hard to get a permit and a trip there. Off the island of San Miguel, there is a small island by the name of Prince Island that has growing colonies of Common Murre, and apparently Tufted Puffins, which is a bucket list bird. In 2025 over summer I am going to Denmark where I will go to the Færœ Islands, which I am garunteed to see them, but why not see them twice?

Reactions: deeda and jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store