Black Gar?

Robbwilder

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
South Florida
I was out fishing this weekend and came up on a ditch. In the ditch were typical cichlids and panfish and bass. On top there was a couple of gar one was muching on a fish. I looked at the shoreline and what looked like a black gar but the body was more verticle and the nose was shorter but came out like the typical gar look. Is there such a thing. No I didnt get pictures because I didnt have the camera with me that day and I couldnt find it the next day. Thanks.

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
how big was it?? and it would be great if you got pics. find the camera and go back. lol

Robbwilder

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
South Florida
approx. 18 inches. It looked complete black. Was right up on the surface so it wasnt a lighting trick. It was crusing slowly along the top. Shorter nose and higher verticle body than the other gar that was 24 inches plus that was cruising on the opposite side. It was that its nose was shorter. I did take a camera and went back the next day. Walked about a mile up and down to see if I could find it. Problem and beauty of down here in Broward county. All these ditches lead for miles and miles and interconnect with bigger canals.

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
possibly an alligator gar. thats the only species i have ever seen black in coloration.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Youre welcome! LOL

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
city_of_evil6661;1830968; said:
possibly an alligator gar. thats the only species i have ever seen black in coloration.
All gar can be Black in color and this one was likely a run of the mill Lepisosteus platyrhincus..(For one it's out of range for a gator) Florida gar are commonly quite dark in coloration..

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
Polypterus;1832055; said:
All gar can be Black in color and this one was likely a run of the mill Lepisosteus platyrhincus..(For one it's out of range for a gator) Florida gar are commonly quite dark in coloration..
i was just guessing. and i have never seen pics of any other species except gator being black. isnt it a color deformmation or something. cuz i think i read it somewhere.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store