Black Gar?

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Its also curious why nobody owns one in a fish tank? Anybody ever seen a pic of one in a tank?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
I've had a melanistic Longnosed and a few really dark Florida and Gators...
The thing about them is they do not always show a pitch black colour year round. There are a few populations where this pops up as being common year round but these fish are not collected for the hobby. Really few Gars are Wild collected for the hobby so this is not overly surprising..

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
city_of_evil6661;1832113; said:
i was just guessing. and i have never seen pics of any other species except gator being black. isnt it a color deformmation or something. cuz i think i read it somewhere.
...and this is exactly how misinformation gets started...if you dont know something, please dont just guess.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Polypterus;1832556; said:
I've had a melanistic Longnosed and a few really dark Florida and Gators...
The thing about them is they do not always show a pitch black colour year round. There are a few populations where this pops up as being common year round but these fish are not collected for the hobby. Really few Gars are Wild collected for the hobby so this is not overly surprising..
are these fish you'er talking about melanistic?

edit: are the fish that dont stay pitch black melanisitc?

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
xander13;1833220; said:
are these fish you'er talking about melanistic?
yes...Melanism - is an increased amount of black or nearly black pigmentation.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
then isn't it genetic? why would the colour be changing around through the year?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
xander13;1833265; said:
then isn't it genetic? why would the colour be changing around through the year?
sometimes around spawning colors will change and the fish can be darker; there can be a genetic component to how dark the fish gets during this period or other periods as well. so yes, melanism is genetic, but the degree and time span at which it occurs can be quite variable.

you can see some pics of black gars on this site as well:
www.garfishing.com

--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store