Bleeding cuban gar

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Have you checked the ammonia levels? Also, I know you mentioned the tank temp has always been where it is now, but if you lower the temp (gradually) I believe it would increase the oxygen levels in the tank. The only reason I say this is because when my Jag was bleeding, ammonia and low oxygen levels were the two main causes of bleeding gills(besides trauma... but you said there are no wounds or bites) that I could find on the web. Are you able to see the color of the inner gills? If they are graying in color that might be a sign of oxygen deprivation which causes gills to bleed. I would just try oxygenating the tank with a powerhead and lowering the temp as to try and ease its breathing so you can make it more comfortable in the meantime. Hope he pulls through and you are able to get some more suggestions/help on here. Good Luck.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
Well as in wound I mean in its gill, because in order to bleed you first need a cut. He could be coughing up blood in a way, might want to do an overall parasite treatment.

I think if you're willing to, do a gill examination.

Jason1202

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2012
Singapore
What have you fed it recently? Anything that could scratch it up on the inside?

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
The gar as been feeding on pellets and frozen thaw fish meat. nothing special.

Well as in wound I mean in its gill, because in order to bleed you first need a cut. He could be coughing up blood in a way, might want to do an overall parasite treatment.

I think if you're willing to, do a gill examination.
I am thinking of parasite infection too. But i wont want to stress the gar by removing it form the tank and check.

Last night, I brought a bottle of Melafix and has already started the treatment.

Have you checked the ammonia levels? Also, I know you mentioned the tank temp has always been where it is now, but if you lower the temp (gradually) I believe it would increase the oxygen levels in the tank. The only reason I say this is because when my Jag was bleeding, ammonia and low oxygen levels were the two main causes of bleeding gills(besides trauma... but you said there are no wounds or bites) that I could find on the web. Are you able to see the color of the inner gills? If they are graying in color that might be a sign of oxygen deprivation which causes gills to bleed. I would just try oxygenating the tank with a powerhead and lowering the temp as to try and ease its breathing so you can make it more comfortable in the meantime. Hope he pulls through and you are able to get some more suggestions/help on here. Good Luck.
Unfortunately, i cant see the color of the gill. I tried adding additional power head but the gar seem to be more stressful with it.

I am also trying to get a test kit for ammonia.

However, gas being surface breather, does it really matter to add more oxygenation to the tank?

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
never had this happen before to any of the gars I have kept in the past also never have had it to happen over the years with any of the fish we have kept. keep us posted on how it turns out and hopefully the fish will heal

Jason1202

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2012
Singapore
never had this happen before to any of the gars I have kept in the past also never have had it to happen over the years with any of the fish we have kept. keep us posted on how it turns out and hopefully the fish will heal
Thanks mate!

The good news is that the Gar took one piece of fish meat today!

We were feeding the Pig nose turtle when it decided to come over and grab a bite.

The lower snout is still swollen thou..

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
I'm glad to hear he is eating, or at least taking food. I know these aquatic turtles as with all turtles can produce large amounts of waste and that their waste has tons of bacteria that can be harmful to humans. Is it possible that maybe your gar has some kind of bacterial infection caused by the turtle waste. Again, I have never kept a gar or an aquatic turtle, but I know someone who has one in a 900 gallon tank and he always uses elbow high rubber gloves whenever he has to stick his arms in there to prevent potential infections. This is probably not the case, just brainstorming. Again, glad he took some food. Home he continues to improve...

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
Taking the gar out may be stressful but, the benefit out ways the risk.

Jason1202

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2012
Singapore
My gar has passed away this morning.

Saw alot of swelling and redness inside the mouth and throat area.

No open wounds at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store