Boy stows away on plane from Cali to Hawaii!

JedisonsDad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2012
Cannon AFB
Seems like he made up the story, but who knows? A guy survived over a year in a boat, so five hours at 35,000' could be possible, I guess....
I'm calling BS on him being in the wheel well. I fly for a living in unpressurized aircraft. Crossing the Hindu Kush mountain range at 17,500 feet, even in the Afghan summer, I have had water bottles freeze solid in my helmet bag next to me.

I've also had to go through altitude training, and just from personal experience with "seasoned lungs", after about five minutes off oxygen at 18,000 feet you are short of breath. At 30 minutes, if you aren't passed out from hypoxia, you are gasping for air like you've just run a marathon.

At 35,000 feet, these symptoms would be ten fold. Decompression sickness, or the bends, would be almost a guarantee. Hell, last week I got it at 12,000 feet cause I flew with a cold and weakened my body.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm calling BS on him being in the wheel well....
Hiding in the planes landing gear compartment does sound a little Hollywoodish...so,would the conditions you've mentioned be present in the cargo/luggage area as well?

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I wonder... In the footage they did show, he had on shorts and a tee shirt! Id think he'd lose a toe or finger to frostbite. While his foot was wrapped up, there was no mention of frostbite and the way they pom pommed his story I know they would've mentioned it.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
How can anyone call BS when there are multiple reports of this happening. There are enough occurrences that they have statistics for it. There is a 24% survival rate for similar circumstances. It has been done before. Most of the time they find a partially frozen dead convict, but it is possible to survive. Any pilot should know that...just saying.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
How can anyone call BS when there are multiple reports of this happening. There are enough occurrences that they have statistics for it. There is a 24% survival rate for similar circumstances. It has been done before. Most of the time they find a partially frozen dead convict, but it is possible to survive. Any pilot should know that...just saying.
So, you are calling BS on his BS?

Anyone for BS on the BS on the BS? This could get ugly on writing all the BS.

JedisonsDad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2012
Cannon AFB
Hiding in the planes landing gear compartment does sound a little Hollywoodish...so,would the conditions you've mentioned be present in the cargo/luggage area as well?
It all depends on if the aircraft has a pressurized hold or not. Some do, some don't. There was a story similar to this years ago, where a guy boxed himself in a crate and sent himself home air freight for Christmas. He lucked out and they had a pressurized hold.

I never claimed to be a pilot. I said that I fly on unpressurized planes for a living (AC-130H gunship). There is a huge difference between a few hour flight on a puddle jumper with stops all across the US pulling this off, and a long leg to Hawaii. I still call BS on him being in the wheel well the entire time. He had to have been somewhere pressurized, possibly still cold, but pressurized. Or it's a false story.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I vaguely remember that story about the guy shipping himself in a crate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store