BP blood parrot fish (Mango) coloration!

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Hi All, Mango, the Baby BP is enjoying his new 37 gallons alone. I see sometime he looks pale in color, but in night he looks brighter, specially after fed, during play, but looks pale when resting... I know it's because when fish is aggressive, they tend to show much brighter colors..

My question is what can be things that I should take care to help brighter color, I know it's everything genes and the blood line, but even to help grow and healthy, need some special care.

I have DIY'ed aquarium extremely bright white LEDs (which comes as top fin Aquarium kit) to pink'ish, maroon'ish color (wrapped a plastic wrapper) and job done.

The light, as some hobbiest say play some role for brighter coloration, plus, adding that pinkish tint to tank delighted my 6 years old daughter.

The heater is at 80-81F...

Food: Hikari Chichlid Gold, Omega one pallets super color (which claims to be natural ingredients such as spirulina, Astaxanthin) , freezed dried blood works and shrimp,

Harder water tends to grow color, fresh water always help healthy fish.. pH is between 8 to 8.1
I can see some "pixels" glowing bright in two lines which are signs of gaining color..

See attached full water test report, I had tested twice with different PetSmarts. Yet to buy that kit, but not needed since I have experience keeping FHs since last 8 years... But will buy some test kits soon.. (Not to be in over confident!!)IMG_20200712_143824.jpg

IMG_20200713_204632.jpgIMG_20200713_204509.jpgIMG_20200713_204507.jpgIMG_20200713_204431.jpgIMG_20200713_102640.jpgIMG_20200713_102630.jpgIMG_20200712_103108.jpgIMG_20200712_102947.jpgIMG_20200712_102942.jpgIMG_20200712_102911.jpgIMG_20200712_011439.jpgIMG_20200712_011436.jpg

Please see pictures with and without lights. Thanks in advance.

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Thanks lot, yes, I like that fluorescent light, I just wrapped a plastic wrapper and all good... It doesn't too bright. But I would say that original Top Fin hood light is so bright and vibrant, Mango doesn't like bright, he is small and he was flashed many times during grabbing food from surfaced, I observed! So dim lights are enjoyable and good on their body too...

Any other thing other than light? Ty in adv.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Food, hormones, environment and light affect color. I love my finnex 24/7 leds...very nice natural day/evening/night cycle. Fish color is clear and crisp. Light substrate makes some fish washed out...you could sprinkle in some dark gravel or sand to make a mix. A few plants and a nice background. Especially for baby fish it helps to settle them down. BPs love to explore things. Mine have marbles and hollow balls filled with water to play with (the little toy balls you get in a bag).

In a year or two your Mango may look like my Tango! See post #796

He's pretty big.

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Wow! Tango is gorgeous so do your other oscars! Great job in keeping them healthy, shining and brighter.. Colors on Tango and Bricks are , awesome.. I wish Mango becomes as brighter and shinier.. Thanks for pointing that post.

Yes, lighter gravel, I definitely thought about that.. but I always been attracted with white sand, it looks like a beach house.. :) Anyway, Red sprinkling is not bad idea which helps coloration. Plants, well, never kept any as I come from FH background, so usually didn't keep anything other than just gravel, so nice idea on plants too.. Please suggest some plant names (I would prefer your suggestion rather googling it!), and I'll see when I can put some. So BP likes to get to play with something.. yes, sure adding some toys would make him playful.

I might have a baby FH fry (1-1.5 inches) from a friend, who is moving and doesn't want to keep his FH with him, I will suggest him to donate to LFS/PetSmart, but I guess, I will have mesh divider and can keep for few days in the same tank as Mango (37 gallons), it will definitely be cramped place for Mango and that new FH baby, let's see how it goes.. well, being both 1-1.5", should be okay for few months.. And keeping FH with BP (at Juvie stages), without a divider, not a good idea IMO.. Well, I will keep my eyes if I will unleash them both free.. I tried Mango by putting some guppies (or kind of guppies) around him ( little fish from the local pond we have in campus), and Mango was constantly chasing them, and those poor fellas were playing dead and was not able to compete with Mango, so I had put those two little fishes back to that lake..

Again, thanks for reading and tvm for sharing that post.

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Plus, One thing I forgot to mention here.. when I got Mango from PetSmart, he was dark orange, but tiny and kind of malnourished.., but was very active.. Also, this was the last BP they had in the store hence grabbed his hand and invited to join my family :)

I've heard that LFS are keeping water at higher pH and some hormones injected food to keep fish color brighter. not sure about their technics, just asking if anyone knows..

I have these photos but he looked much bright orange in person.

By the way, which are these fish in first two photos ? I caught them from my local community pond (where fishing is allowed!!).

Rest all photos when Mango arrived on Jun 17, 2020.

IMG_20200616_170925.jpg

IMG_20200616_170935.jpg

IMG_20200617_232616.jpg

IMG_20200617_232630.jpg

IMG_20200617_232634.jpg

IMG_20200617_232637.jpg

IMG_20200617_232639.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I would reconsider putting a baby fh with Mango, even with a divider. Fish can and will 'bust through'. My rainbow cichlid Pepper did it several times, ramming into the divider and squeezing to the other side. Don't introduce random fish into the tank without quarantine!!! You risk Mango that way for pathogens and diseases.

A clear 15 gallon tote would work...you could add a sponge filter, a skim of sand, some floating plants (like elodea) and some Prime to get things started. I've never been a fan of 'glass box' environments for fish. All open, all glare, and totally unnatural. It affects behavior too. If I were in a bare room 24/7 with overhead lights I know I'd be pissed and stressed.

I love using pothos plants. vine pieces adapt quicker than pot plants. Here's a thread I did awhile ago:

Elodea, Guppy grass, frogbit are plants that come to mind. Hornwort too.

Feed Mango up...parrots are greedy and eat well. Especially since he's young and growing.

Last edited:

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Yet to buy that kit, but not needed since I have experience keeping FHs since last 8 years...
You don't have any nitrite or nitrates yet and some ammonia, you need test kit to keep track not about confidence or experience here.

Foe color getting a background would help. For plants I like Anubis, java fern and amazon swords. Recently tried pothos above flowerhorn tank, works well as well.

Reactions: AlphaTintu

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Plus, One thing I forgot to mention here.. when I got Mango from PetSmart, he was dark orange, but tiny and kind of malnourished.., but was very active.. Also, this was the last BP they had in the store hence grabbed his hand and invited to join my family :)

I've heard that LFS are keeping water at higher pH and some hormones injected food to keep fish color brighter. not sure about their technics, just asking if anyone knows..

I have these photos but he looked much bright orange in person.

By the way, which are these fish in first two photos ? I caught them from my local community pond (where fishing is allowed!!).

Rest all photos when Mango arrived on Jun 17, 2020.

View attachment 1425202

View attachment 1425203

View attachment 1425204

View attachment 1425205

View attachment 1425206

View attachment 1425207

View attachment 1425208
Those fish are gambusia/mosquito fish. Looks like you have 4 females and 2 males.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store