BP blood parrot fish (Mango) coloration!

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Thanks Finwin and RutuRaj, I chose to partition the tank to make sure they both stay healthy until they are grown ups. I used mesh net with suction cups (the cups which have lock ties and great suction, can not pull them from glass), I tied them with net, 6 suction cups to hold it snug tight. I will be dividing them with this DIY partition until they have enough "force" to barge in. I won't have bigger tanks for sometime.

Flowerhorns are great in everything, whereas, parrots are playful and joyful with little tiny mouths, very tough competition..

Have a great fish keeping and keep replying my post :)) Thanks much for your time, I do really appreciate it.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Sounds like you have things planned. But keep a large (clear) spare tote with a lid just in case (30 gallon) actually 2...you'll need to double it for water weight. They're cheap and work as emergency tanks. Fish have a way of busting up your plans. It's how I ended up with multiple tanks. My parrots got along until hormones and adult personalities kicked in! They're all in separate tanks due to fighting.

Right now they are in 38s but I'm having to upgrade because they foul that water volume too quick now. I'm looking at 50ish gallons for each of them. Easier to keep them healthy and less work for me!

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Thanks for your reply Finwin (Sorry don't know your actual name!)

I like that backup plan. I will start looking for them, double the layer due to heavy weight.

However, At least for few months, they should be fine with separation, the mesh is really snug tight, I checked and moreover, my wife certified it! Hahahaa. She added that we will separate both our kids, a 6 years old girl and 2 years old boy, if they fight like these two guys do! Hahahhaha.. She kind of likes the idea.

The suction with the ties are enough until these guys can use their full power in adulthood..

Please see pictures. Mango is really turning well, color and personality wise, he is growing a lot.

Your tips about sprinkle of orange gravel, and background are nice. Yet, store ran out of orange gravel, I will need few more bags of gravel, same color, same kind!

In that old school filter, I added, extra, fluval bio-rings, I like fluval products, I used 220 external filter in 29 gallons tank, and it was so powerful canister, I had to give up everything during my 1.5 years assignment back in my native! Miss that setup, and my baby FH Tintu (In my profile picture)... He was 2 inches when I got him, grew 4.5+ with big head and super pearls in two years!!

Anyway, my question was, I did a mistake that I didn't rinse bio media (fluval U max BioMax underwater) media before adding to that old school filter, and now water seems cloudy. I don't want to interrupt bacteria cycle, and waiting for water to clean up! I added the media since yesterday.. hope that water cleans up soon. I also added sponge, some aqua flo product, fine grade, in my HOB filter, with existing media are zeolite amonia Marinland, and fluval sponge, with some poly fiber (poly fill) in HOB...

Please advise. I yet to plan on plants, but the space is constraints... I already occupied my daughter study table, yet, she got space for homework, and toy stand! She participates in fish keeping hobby so she gave up some space easily...

IMG_20200721_165812.jpgIMG_20200721_165753.jpgIMG_20200721_165743.jpgIMG_20200721_084409.jpgIMG_20200721_084324.jpgIMG_20200721_084312.jpgIMG_20200721_084309.jpgIMG_20200721_084300.jpgIMG_20200721_084256.jpgIMG_20200721_084250.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I keep my parrots between 80-82. LOL why is Mango on the small side of the divider! ? You could bunch some elodea plants or let them float, it grows fast. If you don't have Seachem Prime, get some. It will help you keep water parameters in check until your bio filters are balanced. That's what likely is causing the cloudiness, bacteria bloom. Watch for ammonia spikes...fish will usually get pale, stop eating or have labored breathing. Just leave the filtration be for now and see if it will clear on its own. Give it about a week. If it doesn't clear or gets worse, increase water changes and add Prime each time. Don't touch any of the bio media.

Centering the divider will also give you better space for plants. I'd say your current setup will work as a grow out for about 6 -7 months, so you have time. Once your fishies get around 4-5 inches its time to upgrade. Both your fish pack some bioload once they get larger. For example my parrots are currently 6 to 7 inches (very bulky), solo in 38s. And its a strain to keep nitrates in check. I'm cleaning the filters twice a week and doing 80% changes, not to mention battling algae...tired of the hassle so I'm looking at 56s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruturaj

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Thanks, I guessed that you would ask this question about divider :)), certainly I thought about that after I fixed it. Well, It's so tight that I was needing energy to remove it and re-balance it. Definitely, I am no bias between these two little fellas :) LOL!! but yes, keeping Flowerhorns since 8+ years, sometime I think about them more than other fish. I've had nice parrots back in India, but they both died due to sickness.. The one in pink was so notorious that when I tried to clean the tank, he didn't like it, used to go behind the ornament, and throw gravel at me, hiding, again throwing gravel at me!! very brainy fella he was!

I always use Seacham prime, the most valuable product in water world. I also use 3-4 pinch of epsom salt to make sure fellas have no parasites, and it helps cleaning germs and keep tank healthy overall.

You are an expert, but 80% water changes too much to me.. usually 30% max is good, but I kept only one FH in 29 gallons, and was doing the job. Algae bloom due to direct sunlight, I've had that experience.. I used to brush the tank twice a week to fight algae.

On bio-media, yes, I don't juggle with them, they are kept untouched, but it's just added new media because that small filter had only 5-6 ceramic rings, and others were small stones, I am keeping those media which been cycled through, didn't throw them to help settle the tank.

Cloudy water is definitely due to un-rinsed bio-media, I've had experience with the same tank that after adding zeolite marinland, I had to rinse them properly the next day after tank been cloudy a little bit.

I will keep as it is, all setup for next few days and will monitor water parameters. Thanks for your advise.. I don't believe to re-setup things which are already established..

here are some old pictures of parrot fish I've had. (EDIT: sorry forgot to mention that the tank was way too small, as beginner, no idea what to do, so I believed LFS and got a 20 gallon with those huge fellas. I was so cruel! :-( I guess ))

2013-07-01 20.38.58.jpg2013-07-01 20.39.56.jpg2013-07-01 20.41.17.jpg2013-07-03 19.26.55.jpg

Last edited:

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Believe me I don't WANT to do 80% changes...it became a necessity because as my parrots grew they passed the 'tipping 'point of smaller water changes...I'd get ph crashes and nitrate buildup...algae every 2-3 days. It was crazy. I'd get ph crashes to 4-5 on my test kit...bright yellow. So I had to up the cleaning schedule and size of changes. So it's clear they need more water volume! And they're gonna get it.

For sure maintenance changes as fish grow. What worked for me 6 months ago ain't gonna cut it now!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store