Breeding and feeding earth worms to fish.... do or dont??

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Plus shouldn't you ring them out to get all the dirt and gunk out of their system before you feed?

Sent from my GT-I5510M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
You put them in some damp corn meal for a day before you feed them to your fish, that purges the gunk out. I have also heard oatmeal works. Personally, I see no need to worry about it. Nobody cleans them out in the wild before they are eaten, right?

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
I have a worm box filled with red wrigglers. I use different beddings including shredded newspaper and feed them all the vegetable scraps. Get free food for the fish, remove all the scraps from the trash and the worm castings and tea are the best for gardens ever.

szymon328

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
New Jersey
A pound of freeze dried earth worms is about $20...why bother growing them yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Simple math me lad 20>free mathematically. Free beats $20 bahaha plus the added benefits of the castings, worm tea(as some one has stated), and reducing your carbon footprint is definitely wort the minimal amount of trouble and saving money is always fun :)

So general consensus is that red wigglers are fish safe? Right? Awesome! :)

Last thing, some one mentioned putting them into moist corn meal or oatmeal, only potential issue I can see is the additional carbs in the worms might give the fish bloat? Some of the oatmeal in the worm would definitely not be digested yet right? Proly nothing to worry about tho haha I've seen people wash them off in water instead, but I like the idea of using the media to clean them out inside. Might as well toss in some garlic for immune defense and some other veggies for vitamins and gut load the worms to perfection :) ahhhh this is starting to sound like a beautiful plan! Thanks guys

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
Just watch the veggies. They don't like onion of too much citrus. Keep it in a cool enough place safe from other pests. I don't use corn meal or oatmeal for bedding, paper and some shredded leaves and bark. Anything the worms eat will end up in the fish so watch chemicals and pesticides. Look up vermiculture for worm bin construction. Very simple.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
A pound of freeze dried earth worms is about $20...why bother growing them yourself?
GASP! you shocked granny, ecoli :-/

The fish get benefits of eating fresh LIVING food.
You can't really believe that FD critters don't lose something in the process.
Would you eat only dried proteins?
Additionally, the fish engage in a just bit of natural predatory behavior- without the risk of fish feeders. My O acts all stealthy when I drop a worm in, & gets crazed when attacking & shaking them while zooming around the tank.
I always give them after he's eaten pellets, for nutrient purposes and so he doesn't go into pellet refusal mode.

szymon328

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
New Jersey
Just watch the veggies. They don't like onion of too much citrus. Keep it in a cool enough place safe from other pests. I don't use corn meal or oatmeal for bedding, paper and some shredded leaves and bark. Anything the worms eat will end up in the fish so watch chemicals and pesticides. Look up vermiculture for worm bin construction. Very simple.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I've done my hw :) I'm thinking just a simple 2 box design, one inside the other, the one on top will have holes to let the tea through, the bottom will have a few plastic egg cartons or something staked up to give ample space for the tea to go through, as for bedding I was thinking paper like u said, but ur also right about the possible contaminants like ink, therefore the day or two in corn meal might do em good. Kind of like a detox. As for food, ill give them kitchen scraps, again nothing acidic, and during the summer I work at a farmers market so I can always get garbage produce ranging from Asian pears to asparagus to whatever else grows in jersey :p my inner tree hugger is very happy now haha

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio

A freeze dried worm isn't near as fun to eat or watch as your fish eats a live worm. Would you want freeze dried ice cream that the astronauts are suppose to eat or real ice cream. It's not the same obviously, but there is a difference obviously from freeze dried and live worms.

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Well, let me put it this way...watching fish going after the live worms is not half as fun as watching SWMBO chasing after me because there are red wiggle things in the house.

There are more important things that carbon foot prints ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store