Breeding and feeding earth worms to fish.... do or dont??

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Well, let me put it this way...watching fish going after the live worms is not half as fun as watching SWMBO chasing after me because there are red wiggle things in the house.

There are more important things that carbon foot prints ;)
SWMBO is too strict.
can you keep some in the garage?

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
I've done my hw :) I'm thinking just a simple 2 box design, one inside the other, the one on top will have holes to let the tea through, the bottom will have a few plastic egg cartons or something staked up to give ample space for the tea to go through, as for bedding I was thinking paper like u said, but ur also right about the possible contaminants like ink, therefore the day or two in corn meal might do em good. Kind of like a detox. As for food, ill give them kitchen scraps, again nothing acidic, and during the summer I work at a farmers market so I can always get garbage produce ranging from Asian pears to asparagus to whatever else grows in jersey :p my inner tree hugger is very happy now haha

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
The two bucket design is what I use. Get as much ventilation as possible. If you stick with regular newspaper most of their ink is soy based and safe. Don't use the colored stuff. Enjoy.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Well, let me put it this way...watching fish going after the live worms is not half as fun as watching SWMBO chasing after me because there are red wiggle things in the house.

Time to upgrade?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Plus shouldn't you ring them out to get all the dirt and gunk out of their system before you feed?
That might be kind of messy....I used to keep mine in a container with damp paper towel or newspaper and the worms would vomit out the soil that is in their bodies....I'd like to know more about them possibly being poisonous to reptiles..

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Are you going to be my child's mom?

I like SWMBO...She is understanding enough to let me keep a large fish tank...In term, I do my part by try not to keep things she feels nervous around...

It is unfortunate that the list also includes dogs and cats...I'll let her deal with my son who is beginning to want a pet of his own :D

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I know a certain someone who I will not allow to see that.

szymon328

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
New Jersey
GASP! you shocked granny, ecoli :-/

The fish get benefits of eating fresh LIVING food.
You can't really believe that FD critters don't lose something in the process.
Would you eat only dried proteins?
Additionally, the fish engage in a just bit of natural predatory behavior- without the risk of fish feeders. My O acts all stealthy when I drop a worm in, & gets crazed when attacking & shaking them while zooming around the tank.
I always give them after he's eaten pellets, for nutrient purposes and so he doesn't go into pellet refusal mode.
i couldnt agree more :D ive read alot about big predatory fish, pbass, tiger fish, payara, etc. responding very well to live food. its like cardio for them and it pleases the heck out of their little ocd omg omg omg i gotta kill this thing swiming in my space omnomnomnomnom mentality lol i mean as aquarists, our job is to fulfill our fish's life as nature intended. this means giving it food like it would eat in nature. theres no magical massivore plant somewhere in the amazon, and if there actually is i wana go fishing there haha but what sense does it make to feed a fish solely pellet food when it has massive teeth and evolutionary adaptations that make it want to hunt?

A freeze dried worm isn't near as fun to eat or watch as your fish eats a live worm. Would you want freeze dried ice cream that the astronauts are suppose to eat or real ice cream. It's not the same obviously, but there is a difference obviously from freeze dried and live worms.
ditto. i love me some icecreame haha ur the guy who has a thread about mealworms right?

SWMBO? lol if i follow correctly ur referring to someones foot up ur arse instead of your carbon foot print? :ROFL:

The two bucket design is what I use. Get as much ventilation as possible. If you stick with regular newspaper most of their ink is soy based and safe. Don't use the colored stuff. Enjoy.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
correct me if im wrong, but isnt surface area more important than total volume when breeding worms? and ill do my best to stick to solely news paper, but i was thinking also of using junk mail and just paper shreds from lets say school work lol what are your thoughts on that?

LOL,and a little more to you..What do the letters stand for?

SWMBO hm... some white man breeding oscars? this is the only one that i came up with thats mfk appropriate lmao

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store