Breeding congo tetras???

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Recently inherited a pair of congo tets. Nice looking male and female. My buddy who gifted them to me said they eliminated all of the other congos pretty early on. Dont know if thats indicative of anything at all but they appear to be a bonded pair to me if there is such a thing with these fish.
20230611_105851.jpg
20230611_105806.jpg
20230611_105830.jpg
I will obviously do some googling for basic guidance on this, but looking for tips from the MFKer community on how to get started trying to breed these fish. I have an array of small-medium sized tanks available, plenty of air pumps and sponge filters and equipment to rig up a breeding setup, just tell me the best way for these fish. I would even be willing to put together a larger tank if need be. I have plenty of 6' glass laying around.

Im quite inexperienced in actually trying to breed anything. Any fry ive ever had were just incidental so feel free to talk at me as if i know nothing at all cause thats somewhat accurate.

characinkid

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
New England USA
HI, Firstly you have a good looking pair, that look to be mature and in good shape.
Congo's are egg scatter's and therefore there is no parental care which is good and bad. Means that they usually spawn in a mop/plants/moss, but can trun around and eat their own eggs!
I have bred other tetras and found that you typically need a way to catch the eggs and keep the parents and other fish in the tank from eating the eggs.
What I have found works best is to take a smaller tank (say 20G long), set up some egg crate on the bottom for a false floor, put some java moss/breeding mop, separate the pair, put the female in first and then introduce the male.
Once the eggs are laid, keep them dark and get small live food ready for them.
Hope that this helps?

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
It's pretty difficult and seldom done by hobbyists, it seems. Axelrod's Encyclopedia of Tropical Fishes has a short paragraph on breeding them; requirements apparently are:
-reasonably large tank (20g min)
-acidic, blackwater conditions (including low TDS)
-mature system (or aged water)
-temp at 24.5C/76F
-1tsp aquarium salt per 10L/2.5G
Essentially, characinkid's recommended breeding setup with acidic water and a few other tweaks will probably do it.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Most of the Congo tetras available nowadays are tank raised, in fact massively so. Not particularly difficult as tetras go. As suggested, any kind of method to impede access of the adults to the freshly spawned and fertilized eggs is all is needed. The rest is just fry husbandry.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Alright so its anywhere from easy to potentially frustrating. Makes no difference i suppose. Im willing to give it the old college try.

Breeding mop huh? Havent had to apply yarn to fishkeeping yet guess its about time lol.

I used to have these fake "carpet" plants that livebearer fry would successfully hide in from bigger fish. Kinda resembled this:
Anyone think this would create a decent barrier or maybe even a spawning medium? I could definitely put the layer of egg crate on top too i guess.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One of the best ways, is put a layer of peat moss, or leaf litter on the bottom of the tank, so the parents can't find, and eat the eggs.
It also helps the fry keep from being eaten, because they can dash in the peat for cover.
The peat, or leaves also give off tannins, that are anti bacterial, and anti fungal, which also helps keeping the eggs from getting fungus, or overwhelmed with bacteria.
I found this use of peat and leaves works well with many species of egg scatterers, including killifish (below)
1686740820329.png1686740841412.png
And wishing the piles, microscopic critters like infusoria magically appear that the newly hatched fry can eat.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
One of the best ways, is put a layer of peat moss, or leaf litter on the bottom of the tank, so the parents can't find, and eat the eggs.
It also helps the fry keep from being eaten, because they can dash in the peat for cover.
The peat, or leaves also give off tannins, that are anti bacterial, and anti fungal, which also helps keeping the eggs from getting fungus, or overwhelmed with bacteria.
I found this use of peat and leaves works well with many species of egg scatterers, including killifish (below)
View attachment 1520630View attachment 1520631
And wishing the piles, microscopic critters like infusoria magically appear that the newly hatched fry can eat.
Ok is this the sphagnum type peat moss that comes in big bags at garden centers or should i be looking for some type of less processed, more fibrous peat moss?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Ok is this the sphagnum type peat moss that comes in big bags at garden centers or should i be looking for some type of less processed, more fibrous peat moss?
It is the same stuff from a garden center, just make sure it is pure, no fertilizers, or pesticides.IMG_2490.jpeg.
It will temporarily tint the water in your tank the color of tea.
This is the normal color of water in that region of the Congo, as in many other black water habitats around the world.
I will get diluted after a few water changes.

IMG_3524.jpeg
Similar to the black water, I caught these fish in a couple weeks ago, that is tinted by leaf litter.
b5f5ef1f-c9bf-4b39-b453-7c4ce05ea639.jpeg.

lorrie328

Feeder Fish
Feb 1, 2024
I have a 30 gallon planted tank and several congos that are breeding constantly. It is a community tank with at least 40 fish and I keep the lights on for 10 hours a day. The water is very alkaline at 8.2 and they are happy as clams. I have done nothing except keep the tank healthy. I would love to be able to gather the eggs but all the other fish are so excited to have an egg meal. I have done nothing special and my water is certainly anything but acidic. Not sure why everyone says the water has to be acidic and it has to be dark and they have to be with far less fish in order to breed. In my case that is nonsense.

Chet E.

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2021
Minnesota
Not sure why everyone says the water has to be acidic
Congo tetras bred in captivity may readily breed in a veriety of conditions. I've had similar experiences to you as mine were kept with Tanganyikan cichlids. The fish spawned every day in the evening light of the setting sun. I'm curious if your fish also enjoyed a room with natural light?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store