Breeding flowerhorn

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Ok thanks is their a specific food I should feed them prior to this? What about a temp that might trigger them to breed? And finally How can u tell high quality from the non high quality fry at such a young age just by the parents genes?? also how will I tell the sex of the fish to know if I have pairs when their this size? that young seems incredibly small to start breeding. So My final question is would you be interested in shipping me some fry?? Lol if so what would you charge? Outside of shipping of corse
I don't ship my flowerhorn its just something I just don't want to to deal with sorry. Yeah flowerhorn and many CA cichlids breed at a young age. Well you can tell by pearls and kok gene. My fish will pop a WATER KOK at 2-3". Theres different types of KOk out there as well but you want a water kok which is very desirable. Food just hikari gold, new spectrum, and blood worms is what I feed the small guys. The temps I keep them at 80-82 and colder water changes to entice their breeding habits.

Sex you can vent or check for black dorsal spot for females. If they're paired up the female will lay eggs so just watch out for guarding. The females will be smaller than the males most of the time.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
I don't ship my flowerhorn its just something I just don't want to to deal with sorry. Yeah flowerhorn and many CA cichlids breed at a young age. Well you can tell by pearls and kok gene. My fish will pop a WATER KOK at 2-3". Theres different types of KOk out there as well but you want a water kok which is very desirable. Food just hikari gold, new spectrum, and blood worms is what I feed the small guys. The temps I keep them at 80-82 and colder water changes to entice their breeding habits.

Sex you can vent or check for black dorsal spot for females. If they're paired up the female will lay eggs so just watch out for guarding. The females will be smaller than the males most of the time.
I'm horrible at sexing any fish if I think it's a male it's a female and if i think it's a female it's always a male I've stopped trying unless it's obvious or ones laying eggs. Lol and too bad if you were close to me I'd pick some up but I'm located in central TX idk where your from but I doubt your to close. Oh and If you know of any good breeders that aren't to ridiculously priced around my area or sell online that would be great my guy fell through and after looking at the real nice flowerhorns I wouldn't have wanted the genes his fish carried anyways not enough to have my name put on these fish they had very little pearling nice koks but long faces. So just wondering How many fry would you said I'd need to buy if I went in blind to end up with a nice breeding pair??

Dainbramage

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2015
You should start out with the best fish you can afford. You have heard you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear? You will get a large amount of culls and probably just a few keepers. Dispose of these culls! This is why there are so many poor quality FH's out there. Enjoy breeding them! It's a great part of our hobby

Reactions: Ihsnshaik

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Of the Flowerhorn you have already?
Oh ok here you go he's about an inch an inch and a half still under 2 inches though I was told maybe a gold fader? He was the only guy who looked like this in the bunch and against my better odds I had to buy him. Haha so what do you think?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: Alex562

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
This is the petco fish right? Okay so 4$ is what you paid. Go on aquabid.com and buy known males and females. WIll set you back 150 for each fish. You can buy maybe six of them 3 males and females and let them pair off. It will get costly though but this is what breeders will do.

I would just buy a male and female and see what happens. Odds are they will breed.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
This is the petco fish right? Okay so 4$ is what you paid. Go on aquabid.com and buy known males and females. WIll set you back 150 for each fish. You can buy maybe six of them 3 males and females and let them pair off. It will get costly though but this is what breeders will do.

I would just buy a male and female and see what happens. Odds are they will breed.
Yeah I have no intentions of breeding this guy I just though he looked cool and kinda different so I wanted to pick him up just for me to see what would come of his awkwardness he's no breeder by any means just a pet I knew I was wanting to breed some of these guys and well he's kinda my test run on keeping them.

And wait the whole point of this thread was to figure out how to breed high grade flowerhorns from the undesirables of the bunch and save money now I'm spending $900 on 6 breeders? Plus aquariums for all of those In hope that they breed without my knowledge of weather or not they will I wanted to find a cool purpose for some of the kok less or pearl less flowerhorns that come from good lines not just go out and buy breeding pairs. Ive read only 30% of a batch of flowerhorn get koks and only 10% of that 30% get show or breeder worthy koks and pearl markings that's only 3 out of 100 fry that are "breeder or show worthy" well out of that 3% those fish have the same genes and DNA as the other 97% just not the physical appearance I wanted to take a pair of flowerhorns from the 97% and breed those fish back to each other to create what would the same genes pool that created the 3% of desirable fish in the first place and therefor create the 3% once more along with the 97% That is when I would keep the 3 flowerhorns from a batch of 100 fry and sell/trade the rest for supply's at LFS around my area or sell/give away the others

Last edited:

Alex562

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2015
Looks flowerhornish with some midevil influence. Maybe hybrid but definitely cool! I would've bought it too. You got it at Petco for $4? The Petco bye me sells zz flowerhorn for $12 about 1.5-2 inch.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Yeah I have no intentions of breeding this guy I just though he looked cool and kinda different so I wanted to pick him up just for me to see what would come of his awkwardness he's no breeder by any means just a pet I knew I was wanting to breed some of these guys and well he's kinda my test run on keeping them.

And wait the whole point of this thread was to figure out how to breed high grade flowerhorns from the undesirables of the bunch and save money now I'm spending $900 on 6 breeders? Plus aquariums for all of those In hope that they breed without my knowledge of weather or not they will I wanted to find a cool purpose for some of the kok less or pearl less flowerhorns that come from good lines not just go out and buy breeding pairs. Ive read only 30% of a batch of flowerhorn get koks and only 10% of that 30% get show or breeder worthy koks and pearl markings that's only 3 out of 100 fry that are "breeder or show worthy" well out of that 3% those fish have the same genes and DNA as the other 97% just not the physical appearance I wanted to take a pair of flowerhorns from the 97% and breed those fish back to each other to create what would the same genes pool that created the 3% of desirable fish in the first place and therefor create the 3% once more along with the 97% That is when I would keep the 3 flowerhorns from a batch of 100 fry and sell/trade the rest for supply's at LFS around my area or sell/give away the others
You said you wanted show quality fish and doing an experiment. So you have to get high quality fish and don't come cheap. You can buy fry cheap like how I sell them but you never know the potential so you have to start out with a good quality one. Okay so one pair makes 100 and you sell the 100 at 20 bucks each that's 2,000 in profit per batch.

Yes tanks are cheap 40 bucks for 40 gallons. Doing filter is a few bucks. That's it all you need.

Every batch is different but out of my two dozen fish all them are stunners even females and the males are all huge kok. The females have bigger kok than most male fish I've seen.

Just like many things in like the Big kok don't come cheap

Reactions: ucantkillme89

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Looks flowerhornish with some midevil influence. Maybe hybrid but definitely cool! I would've bought it too. You got it at Petco for $4? The Petco bye me sells zz flowerhorn for $12 about 1.5-2 inch.
That's what he was supposed to cost but they gave him to me cheaper because they thought he was ugly well petco didn't but the chick over the fish section did. lol I can't wait to see how he progresses myself hoping he develops some more color and maybe a small kok he reminds me of this short body I found online he even gains large dark spots that come and fade I'll have to get a pic of him later he has a good bit of patches on him now, not sure if that means anything let me know if it does

image.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store