Breeding frontosa

mobaman1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2013
here and there
The chances of 15 (or even 5) different sources of frontosa having something mislabeled or otherwise erroneous is extremely high. Get fish from someone who's knowledgeable and knows what they're doing and you'll be great.

Matt
All the more reason to just start off with a group of wilds. They're not that much more then tank raised or F1's of the same size and you don't have to wait 3 years for your males to mature from fry. Then again, it sure is fun watching them grow up too. It's a horse a piece, depends on you're taste I guess.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
All the more reason to just start off with a group of wilds. They're not that much more then tank raised or F1's of the same size and you don't have to wait 3 years for your males to mature from fry. Then again, it sure is fun watching them grow up too. It's a horse a piece, depends on you're taste I guess.
Wilds are pricey. If OP has the budget for WC, then this is a good option.

Buying F1s or even F? is also an option if bought from reputable breeders. Much cheaper option and better to get OP into Fronts.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
If he's buying them from a reputable person, they'll know the F#... and the variant.

In my experience, wild are about an order of magnitude more expensive than F1s and actual wild fish can have a host of health issues that F1s likely won't.

Not to say that there aren't lots of captive fish being sold (at a premium) as wilds (that are - oddly enough - free of health issues) ;)

Matt

Wilds are pricey. If OP has the budget for WC, then this is a good option.

Buying F1s or even F? is also an option if bought from reputable breeders. Much cheaper option and better to get OP into Fronts.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Wilds def are pricey. I know it takes years but there's just something about raising them yourself, I find it much more gratifying.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Also easier to be successful with fish raised together.

And the less demand for pulling fish from the lake and shipping them across the world (with associated losses, environmental impact, impact of wild populations, etc.) the better...

Matt

Wilds def are pricey. I know it takes years but there's just something about raising them yourself, I find it much more gratifying.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Also easier to be successful with fish raised together.

And the less demand for pulling fish from the lake and shipping them across the world (with associated losses, environmental impact, impact of wild populations, etc.) the better...

Matt
Well said dude!

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
In a 220 I would look to keep 2 males and 8-10 females, but it all depends what you want from the tank. If you are looking to breed I would go with wild caught or find an established colony that is for sale. From my experience Fronts take closer to 4-5 years to be mature enough to breed. If time is not an issue you could buy about 20 fry or juvenile and then thin out from there. If you do the math it actually works out to about the same money, depending on which variant you choose. image.jpg

image.jpg

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Do the males need caves? Like if I set up my tank buy 20 lil guys should I put in two caves one for the alpha male and one for the beta male since I plan on ending up with just two makes and the rest ladies

Should I have just one cave? Or just rocks ?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
While they are young I would say just some rocks, when mature I would go with one cave, it seems to cut down on aggression. I tried two caves and the females and beta male would fight over the extra one. They don't need caves and most don't use any as their fish would hide all the time. Every colony has their own personality, some are out going and some are more reserved.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store