Breeding frontosa

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
That is all reference, just make sure the rocks are stable and can not fall and which ever you choose make sure there are know sharp edges. In my 180 I have five large rocks about 12" cubed scattered in the tank to create a maze so they can escape when being chased. I have 1 cave I constructed from left over 3D background and 2 piles of river rock one in the corner and one on top of the cave where my black Calvus like to hang out. I'm not saying this is a must but that it has worked for me and I find it nice looking, I also have some fake plants that they like to move to where they like them.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
I have 2 caves in a 6 footer. So far, only the females are using it and a young male. The male is intimidated by a big male, though I have never witnessed the big one chasing the little one.

Most of the time, the caves are rarely used....though I would imagine when they begin to breed, these caves will be needed by the females.

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
I have the one cave that is used my Alpha at night and when doing tank maintenance other than that they are out most of the day. However no other Front will even think of entering his cave, but he does let my big male Black Calvus in. Some people will use PVC pipe or clay pots for caves in their breeding tanks but are not so appealing to me in a display tank, some also don't use any decorations at all. The only two rules are no sharp rocks and stable rocks so they don't fall and break the tank or fall on a fish. Fronts are not fast swimmers but when they get spooked they are capable of great speed and can and will crash into whatever is in the way. Even after six plus years of the tank being the same when my Alpha gets spooked which is not that often he will miss the door to his cave. The funny part is then he looks at me as if I moved it, and at 14" he makes an impact.

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Thank you, designs by nature background slimline I think with an acrylic tank you can use silicone to secure. It will stick to the acrylic if it is clean, enough to keep the background in place. On my 30 gallon I cut it so it was snug and wedged it under the frame. In my 120 that background is the rocky sheet and is held in place by magnets,I think they also have others that use clips.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store