breeding snakeheads.

tigetdat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2008
Saratoga, Ca
I have breed the red snakehead and several other species. I used to have 17 different species and had several pair of each species for breeding purposes . Sadly I sold off all my snakeheads shortly after the ban in 2002 as I could no longer ship SH across state lines. Yes I am still pissed I was breeding 1000 fish per month.

Back to breeding the Reds. Your Reds are large enough to breed but your 300gal tank is too small, I used a 8x4x4 and a 12x4x4 plywood tank I never got them to breed in anything smaller. Also both tanks were heavily planted and I mean the whole bottom was planted. There were 4" strip lights over the tanks. You definitely have a pair there is no way 2 reds would live together if they weren't a pair. Well they are male and female but they still might not breed, SH like to choose there mate form several choices. I started with 9 fish, got 2 good pairs and several dead fish. When 2 fish decide they are a pair they will kill the other snakeheads QUICK! The only time I was able to choose the pair of snakeheads to breed was with a pair of Northern snakeheads. I had 2 uniquely colored and patterned fish that happened to be male and female.
I will add that it isn't hard to the sexes apart with most snakeheads. I almost fell over laughing when I read

"To sex them the fish must be anaesthetised and then the sex organs must be checked, being there are small differences in the placement of the sexual organs on the male and females"

I can't think if a species of snakehead from little rainbows to giant reds that cant be sexed easily. You just got to know your Channa.

So the filter needs to be addressed, first remove the powerheads Reds breed in calm water. I had a canister filter but both the intake and the output from the canister were plumed to small under gravel plates at each side of the tank so there was almost no current in the tank. (this was a tank for breeding reds not keeping them in) also the heater was in line with the filter, breeding reds can break a heater. Also all channa are shy breeders. I have had parents kill there fry because I let a friend look at them or I was working on my car and the air compressor turned on. It dosnt take much to freek them out, I doubt they will breed in a fish store. I bred my reds in a garage the was not part of the house and I would feed them every other day. One other thing once you have fry be careful of the parents, they will come out of the water to attack you just to "protect" the fry.

and don't feed your SH beef heart or chicken just cut up fish and pellets if they will eat them...no feeders unless they are cichlids.

Thats all for now good luck

fobrinkle

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
Michigan
Veacane;1791821; said:
I could just be ignorant, but I thought it was illegal to have snakeheads?
this is a thread from 05'.

Tigerdat

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
USA
I used to breed Snakeheads before the ban in the US in 2002. They were always illegal in Ca where I currently live but I used to live in Co. and that is where I breed the red lines. Yes I did breed most of my snakeheads illegally in Ca where I currently live. This was all before the ban in 2002, I was breeding 1000 a month(I would use them for feeders for larger species when I couldnt sell them all) , most were gachuas but there other species too. Just to clarify there are still several states that snakeheads are legal! The problem is that you can't cross state lines or import new fish. The crossing of state lines is what stopped me from breeding and keeping Snakeheads anymore. I still like to pass on info and will allways help anyone that wants breeds them.

I figured my answer would be interesting even on such an old thread.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Tigerdat;1793043; said:
Just to clarify there are still several states that snakeheads are legal! The problem is that you can't cross state lines or import new fish.
Maryland is the only state that legalized the keeping of dwarf tropical snakehead species after the federal ban. However, there are still states that have no aquarium fish laws on their books. Whether they simply follow federal guidelines/laws needs to be researched by state.

zfoster22

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
kansas city
im pretty sure missouri you can keep them but not bowfins. so where can i get one anyone know?

Tigerdat

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
USA
The Federal Snakehead ban of 2002 makes it illegal to import the fish to the US and to cross state lines with them only! Thats all!
The fed has no authority for a state ban on SH only to limit interstate commerce thats why they could ban the importation and crossing of state lines. At the time of the ban I think there were 18 stated that they were illegal. I am not sure how many stated made them illegal after the federal law, although I know Illinois banned them just after the federal law.

Tigerdat

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
USA
fishbreeder12;1794476; said:
i dought that reds will breed in captivity
How would you know about breeding snakeheads you have a 25 gallon tank with tetras, gouramis and rams. That's food for a snakehead.
Snakeheads are not that hard to breed, there are just a few rules to fallow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store