Brown Diatoms or...?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The tank is looking great! I figured it would take a combination of strategies to clear it up. Don't forget to keep an eye on the FX4 with the micron pads as it will clog up quicker. ?

Reactions: MFM and Jexnell

MFM

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
SD
The tank is looking great! I figured it would take a combination of strategies to clear it up. Don't forget to keep an eye on the FX4 with the micron pads as it will clog up quicker. ?
I appreciate the help! Thank you!

Reactions: deeda

MFM

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
SD
Might try to power wash the wood I removed since the floating debris seems to primarily be Pleco poop... going to thin out the Pleco stock once I can sell a few fish.

Adamson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
Switzerland
I don't think these are diatoms, I think it is simply organic waste. You need to get your filter to pick more of this crap up.

Edit: I see this was answered and you addressed the issue. Looks nice now!

Reactions: MFM

MFM

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
SD
Yeah
I don't think these are diatoms, I think it is simply organic waste. You need to get your filter to pick more of this crap up.

Edit: I see this was answered and you addressed the issue. Looks nice now!
Yeah it was strange... I don’t know why the FX4 and ac110 we’re struggling with pulling it from the water. Time to remove some Plecos to help with the issue haha

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Sorry to rekindle, but was there an outcome & recommendation?
Brush/magnet, snails/grazers or SeaChem?

I've never had diatom issues before; this being a new-build with rainwater & beach-sand I'd have no idea where the Si is coming from.
Mystery snails are notably working on the diatoms but their lines aren't clean; however, the one Nerite I put in seems to be very good but its impact is wee. Nerites are abundant in the river & so can get (incl colours/patterns), but I'm not keen to chase those little egg lines again.

I'll be starting with a magnet scrubber, I think, and cross fingers that the snails will keep the back & sides under control (cement & epoxy in-wall build)
Need to put the lights on a timer, too. Is there anything about light spectrum to know re. diatom?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store