Bumblebee Oscar updates

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
So Poseidon2.0 Poseidon2.0 and myself were catching up in a couple threads and they kind of derailed a bit because of talk about our mythical Rapps Bumblebee Oscars we both had at one time. The internet has a ton of information but of course much of it is out of date when it comes to these fish. Ben and I (David) both were under the assumption that the fish we had were a different species than what is being called a 'Bumblebee' today, because Rapps had been selling them as 'Astronotus cf. orbicularis'. The current line of fish being sold as Bumblebee are listed as A. crassipinnis.

This thread will have some pics, updated understanding and what not.

I will begin with what everyone wants pics, lol

This was when I first got my Bumblebee from Rapps at Tangled up in Cichlids, typical pouting behavior from being in new tank.
dsc04218 (1).jpg

It grew quickly in typical Oscar-like fashion and the pattern really started to pop
Chunk1.jpeg
This is my pic but it has been "borrowed" and featured on other web sites online, lol
Chunk2.jpeg

Sadly a ways down the road it got sick. Looks like Ich but its not, was some kind of internal infection manifesting as external fuzzy spots. Did multiple treatments of various antibiotics but I did lose him in the end.
DSC01642.JPG
DSC01595.JPG
Feisty and a glass banger
DSC01644.JPG

Cant remember why he was in bucket... might have been for a treatment bath during the time he was sick or moving him into a different tank but you can see he was a good sized fish. the bucket measures 11 1/2" across! If he would not have got sick, I believe he still had growing to do, likely would have been 13" easily.
DSC01646.JPG
Any way this is the start to my shared thread with Poseidon2.0 Poseidon2.0 about our Bumblebee Oscars. I will try to add some other info from Kevin@TUIC Kevin@TUIC that he posted too.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Testing to see if I could quote from a different thread and post it here, appears to have worked... This was a response from Kevin at TUIC. Thank you Kevin@TUIC Kevin@TUIC for the explanations.

an admin asked me to check out this topic and asked if I would please comment on the 'bumblebee' oscar.
so here you are ;)
The real 'bumblebee oscar' is Astronotus crassipinnis. Yes, Astronotus cf. obicularis used to be marketed as the bumblebee. At the time these were being distributed then that was the accepted species name and bumblebee was the hobby name that was associated with. However, because of science.. obicularis has since that time become an invalid species. A. obicularis was redescribed as A. crassipinnis. so obicularis IS crasspinnis. Same fish. Reallyu not much else to say on that. That is what it is.

While on the topic of oscars. Astronotus rubrocellatus is also no longer a valid species as they too have be reassigned and are the same fish as Astronotus ocellatus.
At this time(and its been so for some time now) only two species of oscar exist. A. ocellatus and A. crassipinnis. Aside from some minor geographical population subtleties each is fairly easy to tell one from the other. Especially when you've handled literally thousands of each species of all sizes.

Along with taking over TUIC I also took all of the rights to the 30,000+ photos Jeff had documented of every species he ever imported over 30 years. SO I have hundreds of oscar photos with locations to browse through. I havent seen anything that jumps out as "hey thats different" or at least different enough to be something entirely new or different and get me excited enough to want to go through the trouble and thousands of dollars to get a specific one in. ocellatus look like ocellatus and crassipinnis look like crassipinnis with maybe some minor color differences or a few extra or a few less spots. In 2019 I was gifted a group of massive wild crassipinnis that were Jeffs original breeding group. They were giant and very, very old. I ended up selling the group in late 2020. they looked and were no different than the current stock. he had gotten them in and marketed them way back as Astronotus obicularis rio araguaia which is now Astronotus crassipinnis rio araguaia. same fish, same river, same exporter only a decade later we had science change the name.

As far as my bumblebees being different... not very likely as they are the same fish from the same source from the same river. Juveniles however, look significantly different from adults. So when comparing my juveniles to an adult yes, they look different. my larger ones look like all other bumblebees as they should because, well.. its the same fish..
ALL, yes I said ALL of the wild crasspinnis currently being exported out of Brazil come from 1 source.

like human sibling or other relatives.. some are good looking some are uglier lol.. same with fish even within the same population. once in a private aquarium environment. care, conditions, food, all come onto play as to the appearance of the fish.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Love these guys! Following to see the info and pics!
Are they any different from common oscars in the personality department?

Reactions: DMD123

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Here’s my lad, he’s nearly doubled in size within a month. I moved him up to my 180 as of yesterday. Was super worried cause my O. Goramy didn’t seem very happy with him but they’ve settled their differences as of now. Got mine from wetspot so guessing it’s out of Rio Araguaia? Was extremely easy to get on to pellets and has been good with both smaller and larger dithers.

FA8AAA5F-10C8-45B6-9552-0CF84DA71225.jpeg

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
SourAngelfish SourAngelfish , nice! I just missed the batch Wet Spot had. I am up to my eyeballs in other fish right now, so no empty tank to keep one in. Hoping I will have a tank free soon and get my hands on one of these guys.
Can you have a free tank in the next few days? They’re back !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store