Bumblebee Oscar updates

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
So I was trying to track down any scientific studies I could find on the A. Crassipinnis. Most any study I could find mentioning this oscar type cite Sven O Kullander's 1986 study: Cichlid fishes of the Amazon River drainage of Peru. This includes studies I could find published up until 2013 (from the database I have access too). It is in this study where you find the measurement of "240 mm" (p,. 71) which is where all the popular sites (like Wikipedia) repeat ad infinitum as 24 cm or a little less than 10". So yes, as Kevin mentioned, we shouldn't always trust Wikipedia, but in fact, this measurement comes from this published, peer reviewed studied. However, Kullander calls these measurements "provisional" and says that more data is needed (which as far as I can tell no one has actually published). Given Kevin's experience collecting and handling these fish (in the hundreds) it is certainly seems that this study (35 years old) is in need of an update. I'd be happy to know if anything has been published.

Both Daivd's and my Oscars, if they are to be classified as A. Crassipinnis, far exceeded this established "maximum" size. Darth grew to 13" and I think Chunk grew to a similar size. We were told they were "A. Orbicularis" at the time we received ours (around 2014) which I have never found a study on so was never really more than a selling point it seems. In any case Kevin has reasonably conflated and corrected this misnomer to A. Crassipinnis.

Anyway, here is a PDF link to Kullander's seminal if somewhat outdated study from 1986. Would be happy if anyone had more sources to link us all too.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I was thinking back to when I had mine and it was in a 75 gallon with an L114 pleco and a school of Australian Rainbows. Even at the 11 1/2” size it never went after any of the other fishes. I was quite surprised since I gave the oscar an occasional silverside when I would feed these to a puffer. You think it would have went after them but nope, never showed any interest in eating them. Not sure if that is a behavior thing of this particular fish or what. But like Poseidon2.0 Poseidon2.0 had said our fish were an F2 generation.

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
I was thinking back to when I had mine and it was in a 75 gallon with an L114 pleco and a school of Australian Rainbows. Even at the 11 1/2” size it never went after any of the other fishes. I was quite surprised since I gave the oscar an occasional silverside when I would feed these to a puffer. You think it would have went after them but nope, never showed any interest in eating them. Not sure if that is a behavior thing of this particular fish or what. But like Poseidon2.0 Poseidon2.0 had said our fish were an F2 generation.
That’s interesting. Darth was a bit of a killer. A fire mouth and a clown loach under his belt in the 120. But did tolerate other fish on the whole, just needed to spill blood to show them whose the boss now and then. Which is why I kept him alone whenever he lived in a 75.

Reactions: DMD123 and Deadeye

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
The Wikipedia page info: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronotus_crassipinnis

“A. crassipinnis reaches up to 25 cm (10 in) in length.”
View attachment 1466708
Notice the spotting on the jaw? This was believed to be a distinguishing factor back in the day between the crassipinnis and orbicularis
Right. I think there were enough differences to posit the new varient. It is too bad that a lot of the early discussions we had about this on another forum don’t seem to exist. There was a lot of good info shared in Kate 2014-15. Most I can’t track down.

Reactions: Deadeye and DMD123

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Right. I think there were enough differences to posit the new varient. It is too bad that a lot of the early discussions we had about this on another forum don’t seem to exist. There was a lot of good info shared in Kate 2014-15. Most I can’t track down.
Sadly we saw the closure of multiple forums over the years with a ton of interesting discussions now all gone.

jacktar

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2021
Nice tiger Oscars you have there jacktar jacktar . These would be astronotus ocellatus. Yours are showing a lot of red for their small size, should be colorful adults.
Oh wow thanks for the latin lesson DMD. They are moody little fellas so the red stripes glow a lot, lovely to watch them. I'll post a thread of some pics in a few months to show. cheers

Reactions: DMD123 and Jexnell

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Update... Been a few months and I sold off some extra Trimacs and rehomed a big red devil so I opened up a growout tank and will have a 90 available after I rehome one more trimac.

But for now I went down to Portland for the day and stopped at...
View attachment 1473435
And look what followed me home...
View attachment 1473436
Very nice pickup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store