Bumblebee Oscar updates

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
The Bumblebee Oscar looks awesome!!!
Thank you, I was happy to have found him since these fish tend to only be available in waves. You see them for a bit and then years of not being available.

Ive always had a soft spot for Oscars but the bumblebee has been a favorite.

Reactions: tlindsey

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Beautiful fish.

Ive been feeding him light to keep his growth slower as opposed to the rate I know he is capable of. Im trying an experiment on my fish. Slower growth to see if I get longevity out of them. Im tired of all my losses at 9-10 years on my fish. Im trying to be patient on their growth and try to get 12+ years out of my fish. Just an odd theory and experiment. Im not a constant change kind of fish keeper. Try to be more of a wet pet for its life sort of guy. Will see how it goes.
While genetics will always play a significant role in longevity, I have been feeding what many would consider light, for decades now. Add to that random days of intermittent fasting, and all other factors (water changes, diet, overall stress levels etc) being equal I think that slow & steady will always prove to win the race. Power feeding for large gains in growth has been highly overrated on this site as well as others, typically by those that could not care one wit about the longevity of their fish.

Good luck with this gem.

Last edited:

arielucidates

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2024
Can anyone who has bought Crassipinnis recently tell me what you paid (like at Westport, LFS, etc.)... I had them back in 2014/15 from Wetspot and then I got out of the hobby the last 5 years or so. But I'm setting up a tank and want to get them again. My LFS has some (I think) but they seem crazy expensive to me. Now I have noticed that fish prices in general are way more than 5 years ago because of inflation but these are five times the price I paid for mine. Granted their a little bigger, but I'm trying to decide whether I should get one locally or wait an order from Wetspot so I can get a group. If Wetspot is significantly cheaper even with shipping a group would end up being cheaper from them.

arielucidates

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2024
These are the Oscars I think are Crassipinnis at my LFS. They are being sold as "Wild Caught Jade Eye Oscars". This LFS is usually pretty good with using scientific names, so I assume this is what they were sold as by the distributor and they are just using the same name. The only information I could get about the catch location was "Brazil"

1000009465.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store