Can 2 oscars live with a kelberi peacock bass in a 180 gallon

Lazybum34

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2024
Looking to get a 180 for my two oscars and someone told me that a peacock bass would be a appropriate tankmate for them in a 180 gallon is that true and if not what would be a appropriate tank size for them ( dimensions ate 72″ x 24″ x 25″)

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
IMO it would be fine if they are still juveniles but only one fully-grown Oscar, or two if they get along as a pair, could fit comfortable in a 180gal. Peacock bass get even bigger than Oscars so I wouldn't recommend that. Though you could have smaller fish such as dithers with the Oscar(s).

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Lazybum34

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2024
IMO it would be fine if they are still juveniles but only one fully-grown Oscar, or two if they get along as a pair, could fit comfortable in a 180gal. Peacock bass get even bigger than Oscars so I wouldn't recommend that. Though you could have smaller fish such as dithers with the Oscar(s).
I'm not sure yet if my 2 oscars are a pair

Lazybum34

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2024
Sorry I don't really understand

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
The pair would be fine with the p bass if the pair gets along
He is saying peacock bass gets too big for the tank
Especially too big for the tank with 2 oscars
Not fine
Pair of oscars is fine in 180 but no peacock

Lazybum34

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2024
He is saying peacock bass gets too big for the tank
Especially too big for the tank with 2 oscars
Not fine
Pair of oscars is fine in 180 but no peacock
The dimensions are 72″ x 24″ x 25″ which is enough for a peacock bass to comfortably turn and alot of people said 180 is fine for both.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
The dimensions are 72″ x 24″ x 25″ which is enough for a peacock bass to comfortably turn and alot of people said 180 is fine for both.
If you don't like what you hear, then don't ask the question. The record for cichla kelberi is 24". Smaller than that, especially solo, it will get too aggressive for two oscars. Astronotus in general do not do well with things that are more aggressive than them in tight spaces.

Lazybum34

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2024
If you don't like what you hear, then don't ask the question. The record for cichla kelberi is 24". Smaller than that, especially solo, it will get too aggressive for two oscars. Astronotus in general do not do well with things that are more aggressive than them in tight spaces.
I'll probably go for a different approach like a tiger moray eel instead

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I'll probably go for a different approach like a tiger moray eel instead
I am not too familiar with the compatibility of eels and astronotus but I personally would go with one of the larger mastacembelus instead, as they will likely hold their own better and be easier to feed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store