Can 2 oscars live with a kelberi peacock bass in a 180 gallon

Lazybum34

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2024
I am not too familiar with the compatibility of eels and astronotus but I personally would go with one of the larger mastacembelus instead, as they will likely hold their own better and be easier to feed
People said it does better with big cichlids

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
People said it does better with big cichlids
And my name is not "people". Morays are often difficult to feed, especially the freshwater ones. They frequently jump as well.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
If you don't like what you hear, then don't ask the question. The record for cichla kelberi is 24". Smaller than that, especially solo, it will get too aggressive for two oscars. Astronotus in general do not do well with things that are more aggressive than them in tight spaces.
I disagree that the tank is too small for kelberi, captivity they max around 16-18” in length, may push to 20”. bassinmike85 bassinmike85 if I remember correctly bred them in 4 x 2 x 2.
however, I do agree that Oscar’s and peacock bass shouldn’t be kept tgt in a 6 x 2 x 2 aquarium size, both are territorial fish which would fight for space.
I agree, I don’t think morays would go well with oscars and peacocks, they would be too slow to reach the food before the Oscar’s and bass get it.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
I'm not sure yet if my 2 oscars are a pair
In addition to true pairs (male/female) I've seen pairs form that never breed. Whether or not these were same sex that just got along well, or a true pair in which one sex was unable to breed, I do not know. How big are your Oscars now?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
To me a 180 is adequate for a pair of adult oscars, or a grow out for the 3 you mention until half grown, but hardly adequate for all 3 as full grown adults.
At the moment I have two 180s, and sitting here looking at them, I hardly see them as large tanks, for large fish such as an adult Cichla.
I've had Cichla in the past, and found 6 ft tanks just don't really cut it for them.
1709560749513.png
Even the 8 ft tank the two (18" male) above were in, as adults seemed cramped to me.

Lazybum34

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2024
In addition to true pairs (male/female) I've seen pairs form that never breed. Whether or not these were same sex that just got along well, or a true pair in which one sex was unable to breed, I do not know. How big are your Oscars now?
One is 6 icnes the other is 5.5 inches

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
They have a ways to go. As they get big you will see if they pair up/ tolerate each other. I started off with six 3inch Oscars and eventually kept the two that seemed to pair up and rehomed the rest.

Lazybum34

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2024
To me a 180 is adequate for a pair of adult oscars, or a grow out for the 3 you mention until half grown, but hardly adequate for all 3 as full grown adults.
At the moment I have two 180s, and sitting here looking at them, I hardly see them as large tanks, for large fish such as an adult Cichla.
I've had Cichla in the past, and found 6 ft tanks just don't really cut it for them.
View attachment 1536955
Even the 8 ft tank the two (18" male) above were in, as adults seemed cramped to me.
Would a 220 be a better option

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store