Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
20160119_171200.jpg
20160119_171220.jpg
20160119_171234.jpg
20160119_171304.jpg
20160119_171453.jpg

I am debating using weld-on #40 to tip and pour these seams when the weather gets warm again, but I am wondering if I should even bother. The crazing seems to be growing very slowly but still growing, it is those 2 corners that I am worried that may lead to catastrophic failure. What do you guys think, bite the bullet and get it done or will I be fine for a bunch of years to come? I would prefer not to if i dont have to as i have big plans this year and could use the cash elsewhere. Tank is 7x4x2 with 2 feet being the tall dimension, it is made out of 1/2" acrylic except for the brace which I think is 1/4", possibly 3/8", and has been running for a bit over a year with the following crack in the brace:

1453242190158-1635841140.jpg

wednesday13 wednesday13 you may remember me asking about this before, it's now a year later and a much better camera, thoughts?

millerkid519 millerkid519

Reactions: millerkid519

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I've seen tanks with worse seams hold water for years but a tank that size could create a lot of water damage if a seam were to fail. I hate to recommend either way.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
looks 2 be in pretty good shape my friend... sure theres a bit of crazing but the seams themselves look very clear. def a 8-9 outta 10, bearly any bubbles/knicks/white spots at all if any... i have far worse over here in house. i dont think u need 2 worry about any reinforcement. Glad to see that crack on top stopped running also :). sure #40 tip and poured will give you some peace of mind... it heating up the acrylic could also make it craze worse tho so id hang tight and keep an eye on it. nothing 2 lose sleep over yet.

Reactions: davenmandy

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I've seen tanks with worse seams hold water for years but a tank that size could create a lot of water damage if a seam were to fail. I hate to recommend either way.
It seams to me.....see what I did there?...
okay okay okay.....serious...
It looks pretty good. I wouldn't lose sleep over it, but then, it isn't in my space. I would address the crack on the top...did you create the relief hole? That crack is makingthe top bracing useless....maybe a fill and patch there.
If the crazing is causing you stress I wouldn't just stop at a tip and pour...go the distance and add some more acrylic in the corners. You will have the tank down anyway, and the added and renewed corners will give you piece of mind and many more years of faithful service.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
looks 2 be in pretty good shape my friend... sure theres a bit of crazing but the seams themselves look very clear. def a 8-9 outta 10, bearly any bubbles/knicks/white spots at all if any... i have far worse over here in house. i dont think u need 2 worry about any reinforcement. Glad to see that crack on top stopped running also :)
Thanks man, I appreciate your help, did go into a bit of a panic mode when I moved to this house and all this happened, you were really helpful then and I was hoping you would remember so you could see how it progressed to see if it should be done or not. I think I will reinvest the money to better the system instead of purchasing a gallon of weld-on, I spent the past 6 months building a plywood aquarium to house my rays during a tip and pour, so now that I can confidently say that I have a bunch more years before i gotta do the repair I am going to look into getting another breeding trio to stick in the plywood.

You mentioned bubbles or nicks so I figured I would post this:

1453244343129-1519978311.jpg

I have had this small sort of "crack" since day one of me owning the tank, 3.5 years later I don't see much of a difference, small if anything, and this is what I constantly had my eye on before the move, so that is reassuring. Guess despite being built a bit thinner than it should be these things can really hold their own. Considering my tank is not perfectly level due to a bit of rushed help and the crack happening in the brace and a bulkhead, where do all these acrylic tank failures come from? Like what does it take for a seam to start significantly wearing?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Also in pic 2 and 3 of the original post, those white kind of bubbles that aren't like the other crazing, for example the one that runs from the front panel underneath the side panel, what exactly is that? Is that condensation trapped within the crazing? I feel like some of those bubble type of seams may have algae actually inside, and pic 2 and 3 are actually what had me worried a lot more than the increase in crazing as if that is condensation trapped in there, whose to say water can't get in there and have it spread? If that make any sense, it's not the same spider cracks like pic 1.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
thats prob the worst part of it on that last picture... still nothing i dont have on my own tanks lol... 2 answer ur question, all acrylic bows and somethings gotta give eventually like that crack in the top brace. very common as most builders overlook the top bracing due to material costs. the top should actully b the thickest part of the tank but they usually never are. they take the brunt of the pressure. Tanks being unlevel can speed up a wearing seam. by the looks of ur tank u could spend maybe $1-200 in 1/2" acrylic square stock and 2 pints of weld-on #40 to kinda refurb it if u ever have it drained. id say the biggest cause of seam failure is underbuilt tanks and time full. even then most still look fairly good seam wise after 10-20yrs in operation. glass tanks eventually need resiliconed... acrylics need a good once over after 10-20yrs just the same. nothin crazy tho. even some 1/4" square stock on ur upright seams would b a good preventative if u have the time. no reason 2 tear it down yet, just something 2 keep in mind down the road

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Okay cool, actually looking at that last pic it does seem to be cutting it close between the crazing and the crack. What's a conservative estimate as to when to start thinking about a repair in your opinion? I know it's hard to tell or put a number on it, but we talking closer to 1 year or 5 years? Also what should I be looking for in any of this that is an absolute indicator that a repair should be done soon? I think I remember you saying a lot of leaks in acrylic are slow leaks, but short of an actual leak is there any other indicator from my pictures that would come up that would have you say okay, time to make a short term plan to have this done? To use your words, when is "down the road" and when would you start "losing sleep" lol? Reason I am asking is because I tend to want to be proactive rather than reactive, but after building my plywood tank I really wouldn't mind a few years without a major aquarium project, if at all possible.

Here is another pic from an upward angle. Through the side panel all you see is a tiny line, the other pic I think looked worse because of the surface scratches on the acrylic made it look like it was part of the crazing.

20160119_183943.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: millerkid519

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Just me but I had a 50 gallon glass bust on account my daughter hit it with a metal toy; 50 gallons on a carpet is not fun at all, I would repair it the right way but just what I would do.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Just me but I had a 50 gallon glass bust on account my daughter hit it with a metal toy; 50 gallons on a carpet is not fun at all, I would repair it the right way but just what I would do.
u guys r killin me lately lol... obiously this is a different situation. glass is not acrylic... completly unrelated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store