Can you id this snake?

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
One of my neighbors had a copperhead nest in their firewood. They had professionals come get them last spring. We've had several encounters with copperhead snakes and a few with rattlers (we obviously know what those look like). We have a guy that lives across the street from us that is a snake fanatic...unfortunately he's away on business this week. We live in TX by a lot of land, small ponds and now our city is growing rapidly and it's flushing all the critters our way. People that don't know much about snakes (and terrified of them) and know there has been several encounters with venomous ones can't be expected to stick around long enough to find out what it is. I, personally, get the heebeegeebees from snakes but I wouldn't have the balls to get close enough to kill one. I just take off screaming like a little girl lol.

I hope I didn't offend y'all by posting this. I was just curious to know what it is and see if we have another nest somewhere close. I have 3 kids all under the age of 6 and 2 dogs that play outside nearly everyday. I just wanted to know what we were dealing with.

Again, my apologies if I offended y'all :(

Happily married Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 15 gilled babies

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
This saddens me. Could have made a great pet. Doesn't even have any copper color at all.
Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

avengerz43

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2014
northern kentucky
Sad, I grew up loving all animals but especially snakes they're so beautiful but yet so misunderstood by everyone. I never got how most people are so terrified by a creature with no arms and no legs and has to slither to come get you lol. My mom and sister are stupid scared of them so much so my mom when I was younger if she saw a snake on the road she'd swerve to run it over and always killed them if she found them around the house or yard. She wouldn't even come over my apartment when I first moved out because I kept a albino burmese and a ball.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Disgusting the ease people resort to the axe....

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I hope I didn't offend y'all by posting this. I was just curious to know what it is and see if we have another nest somewhere close. I have 3 kids all under the age of 6 and 2 dogs that play outside nearly everyday. I just wanted to know what we were dealing with.

Again, my apologies if I offended y'all :(

No don't worry we're not mad at you. :)

We're just upset by the situation. Hopefully your neighbor can now be educated to leave that species alone. Those are actually great to have around since their prey includes rodents and venomous snakes.

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
Even a venomous snake can easily be removed without injuring it or yourself. In addition, copperheads do not live in nests. The closest they get is when they give birth they obviously are in the same area for a minute, but they typically disperse quickly

Tramonte172

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
My fish room
It is either a young black rat snake or eastern milk snake. It is not any species of venomous snake.

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
Even a venomous snake can easily be removed without injuring it or yourself. In addition, copperheads do not live in nests. The closest they get is when they give birth they obviously are in the same area for a minute, but they typically disperse quickly
Maybe not a "nest" but there were about 6-7 under the firewood.

I just take off in the opposite way of ANY snake I see. I don't know about snakes so I just steer clear.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
For next time, remember: snakes do not have nests. They might reside in a comfortable spot for a while if there is a food source and shelter but they do not nest. If you see one around your house or yard, spray it with a water hose from a safe distance. The snake will not like that and it will leave. Do this once and 99.9% of the time, you will never see that snake again. Then start to think of why the snake was there and what about that place may attract others to that spot. Is sunlight hitting it so that it is warm? Is it dark and moist? Do you have nearby rodents/ birds that could be food? Take care of these. A well trimmed lawn is a good barrier to snakes. For clutter such as firewood that makes good refugia for snakes, pour a cup of bleach or place some mothballs around every know and then- nothing will like that smell and nothing will stick around. I have yet to hear of a good excuse for killing a snake (discounting ignorance).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store