Canister Filter for 60G

BostonMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
Boston, MA
Well, After a few hours of research, I ordered a 2217. I'll set it up with both Emps, and then after enough time, i'll remove the two Emps 1 at a time.

Now to look into the inline heater and the lily pipes.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Well, After a few hours of research, I ordered a 2217. I'll set it up with both Emps, and then after enough time, i'll remove the two Emps 1 at a time.

Now to look into the inline heater and the lily pipes.
you might find if you order an impeller for 1 of the emps and replace it the noise will subside..although that won't fix the "look".. just a thought:)...keeping 1 emp in service will insure more mech filtration....the 2217 isn't known for stellar mech filtration, but on a 60 I am sure , with ample wc's ,it will suffice

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
I agree keep one of the emps running for the added filtration. In my experience its always best to run 2 filters instead of one. If one craps out on you at least you got another running till its back up. Better to lose some of your BB instead of all of it.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
The 2217 is a nice filter. Ive had mine installed on a 72g bowfront and happy with the performance. I had the hydor 300watt heater installed in line and was not happy that mine died. This was my third one and it decided to just stop heating. My other two have been running for years and zero problems. If you decided to go this route they make a 200 watt that has 1/2" hook ups or if you go with the 300watt you go to 5/8" and will need to get the reducer barbs from Eheim.
7787.jpg
http://www.bigalspets.com/reducer-594-to-494.html

7787.jpg

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
In my experience its always best to run 2 filters instead of one. If one craps out on you at least you got another running till its back up.
Just one thing you forget: the Eheim isn't going to stop working for its first decade of service ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
:iagree: Ive run my 2217 way too long between cleanings and the thing just kept on going. The classics really are good.

I do run mine with an ac110 on my 72g bow just to help with the mechanical and also because it can be cleaned out really quickly compared to the canister.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Just one thing you forget: the Eheim isn't going to stop working for its first decade of service ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Definetely! I got 2 classics(2x 2215) and one of them is 10+ years old....never had to replace a part:headbang2

BostonMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
Boston, MA
The 2217 is a nice filter. Ive had mine installed on a 72g bowfront and happy with the performance. I had the hydor 300watt heater installed in line and was not happy that mine died. This was my third one and it decided to just stop heating. My other two have been running for years and zero problems. If you decided to go this route they make a 200 watt that has 1/2" hook ups or if you go with the 300watt you go to 5/8" and will need to get the reducer barbs from Eheim.

http://www.bigalspets.com/reducer-594-to-494.html

So with the 2217, I need the hydor with the 1/2" hookups?

Just want to confirm before I go purchase one?

BostonMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
Boston, MA
you might find if you order an impeller for 1 of the emps and replace it the noise will subside..although that won't fix the "look".. just a thought:)...keeping 1 emp in service will insure more mech filtration....the 2217 isn't known for stellar mech filtration, but on a 60 I am sure , with ample wc's ,it will suffice
I'm pretty sure an impeller swap will fix the noisier one, but for the most part it's the look of the two large HOB's that I want to eliminate. I have thought about keeping 1 in service. To be honest, the EMP's aren't that bad. I just thought I could clean things up a bit.

I'll just have to monitor things and go from there.

I'm not opposed to running all 3 filters to be honest. As much as I'd like to clean up the display, i'm not about to sacrifice the health of my fish that I'd had for a little over 3 years so far.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
yes you will only need the reducer if you went with the 300W model

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store