Canister Filter for 60G

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I'm pretty sure an impeller swap will fix the noisier one, but for the most part it's the look of the two large HOB's that I want to eliminate. I have thought about keeping 1 in service. To be honest, the EMP's aren't that bad. I just thought I could clean things up a bit.

I'll just have to monitor things and go from there.

I'm not opposed to running all 3 filters to be honest. As much as I'd like to clean up the display, i'm not about to sacrifice the health of my fish that I'd had for a little over 3 years so far.
my motto with fishkeeping has "grown" into a simple thought ,if it's working, the fish are happy and it's not noisy ,then I am happy...everything else will work out ...the noise can be a problem, but imo the look of filters doesn't bother me , so I would figure out a way to quiet the filters or get new ones , being that you want to change the look puts things in a different dynamic,I can understand it, but make sure it's what you want before you do it ,canisters ARE different..you have to shut them down to service them and move the whole(heavy )filter,not that you can't or won't ,but it is a factor...good luck ,it seems you are considering all the options .I am sure you will choose well

BostonMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
Boston, MA
Well, the Eheim 2217 showed up over the weekend. First impression was that this is a huge canister! The amount of media it can hold is significantly more than all the media in both my Emp 400's.

Ordered an inline heater as well, so just waiting for that to show up. Unsure if I will do Lily Pipes. I just don't think I can mount them as well as I'd like on my tank that has a rim and a painted backside.

Going to set it up, and then after 3-4 weeks or so remove one of the Emps and leave the remaining 2 filters. Even with removing one filter, I def see this as an upgrade to my filtration system. This thing is just huge, tons of surface area for bacteria

Thanks guys.

BostonMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
Boston, MA
Just an update.

2217 and Hydor In-line heater has been running for 2 weeks. I removed 1 Emp400 when I installed it and left 1 still running. It's definitely an improvement! Water is clearer and params are good.

I like it so much that I'm eyeballing the other Emp400 and trying to decide if I should leave it, or replace it with another 2217 (or maybe a 2215).

Anyway. Thanks for all the suggestions!

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Just an update.

2217 and Hydor In-line heater has been running for 2 weeks. I removed 1 Emp400 when I installed it and left 1 still running. It's definitely an improvement! Water is clearer and params are good.

I like it so much that I'm eyeballing the other Emp400 and trying to decide if I should leave it, or replace it with another 2217 (or maybe a 2215).

Anyway. Thanks for all the suggestions!
now that you have "plenty of filtration ",it's all about how much and what type of maintenance you want to perform...If you don't mind cracking the can open every month or so go for another .

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
If you do decide to add another Eheim canister do a 2217 like what you have already. I like to keep things consistent so I order one type of part or filter pad. That way it is easier to swap parts and stuff as needed.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
If you do decide to add another Eheim canister do a 2217 like what you have already. I like to keep things consistent so I order one type of part or filter pad. That way it is easier to swap parts and stuff as needed.
x2

Conlin2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2011
Altamonte Springs,Fl.
I would add another 2217 would be very nice!

BostonMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
Boston, MA
Good point. Guess I'll do this as it makes logical sense.

I'll take my time here just to let the first 2217 have enough time to develop it's colony of bacteria. I intend to remove the other Emp 400.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store