Captive Breeding - 2 likely Scenarios

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Ahhhh The Tigon and the Liger ;)

I want to see a monster 'super' Motorongo that gets like 48" across and traps large dovii-like cichlids under its disc to snack on eyeballs..

SovietFireExtinguisher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Canada
Miles;2213129; said:
I want to see a monster 'super' Motorongo that gets like 48" across and traps large dovii-like cichlids under its disc to snack on eyeballs..
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:A MOTOROZILLA!!!:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
stingrayJK;2210051; said:
The subject about hybrid's and breeding pure breeds.Was spoken about at the fw ray symposium at Chicago back in august. The problem is most of the species id is in question because of there Biology there seems to be more morph or sub species then known about in the past. That coupled with the fact that there is not a dna/blood Id test that works to help figure it out.....so it is almost impossable to id blood lines at this point.

But there is good news AZA is working to trace back husbandry from past display Rays but its hard work because they are going through notes and records from years past to sort it out. I know several people is spearheading that effort at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago.They also are chipping the rays that they have to build up history on there rays. Also Frank a well known commercial ray breeder is doing the same.

IMO I think the more captive rays are researched and learned about the better the husbandry will be. It is my full intent for my company to provide as much research into the subject. This is my Company's mission statement

The primary purpose of Dark Rivers Hatchery LLP will be the importation of exotic aquatic creatures with the emphasis being on freshwater stingrays from South America and Asia. These stingray's will be used for the purpose of live biological studies designed to enhance natural procreation of the species in a captive state. Successful pups will then be sold to aquatic retail stores, public aquariums, zoos, and individual enthusiasts. Proceeds will be used to further biological studies and conservation of the species in its natural environments.

for more info please contact me.

Jason Cooley
CEO/OWNER
Dark Rivers Hatchery LLP
Harpers Ferry,WV
darkrivershatchery@yahoo.com

Hey Jason could you please update us with the status of your operation?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
amazongirl;2209945; said:
I think it will be interesting to see what the state of the 'ray hobby' is in say 20 years.

Now- overall I'm extremely impressed with this group. Many of you are extremely dedicated and I think if you really want to you could work together to maintain the 'ray hobby' for the long term. There are already computer programs in existance that track and manage captive populations that for the most part are shareware. There is no reason that you could not do what zoos and aquariums try to do when they attempt to manage species over the long term, but you would have to work together and some of you would have to step forward and lead the charge. It would probably be hard work, but quite an accomplishment if as a community you decide that is where you want to head.
Well put! I would be nice to see a private sector data base of who has what for tracking reasons similar to ISIS. However, it would depend a lot on knoweldge of what animals are in hand to start with and the abilities of keepers to maintain species /single sex only collections to ensure known offspring genetics.

Miles;2213129; said:
Ahhhh The Tigon and the Liger ;)

I've had large female motoros take out adult cichlids before. :headbang2

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
do you think that hybrids might be a side effect to the ban on the exportation of rays from brazil?

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
nitrofish1;2214757; said:
do you think that hybrids might be a side effect to the ban on the exportation of rays from brazil?
I think no mater what it would have happend but ..... it certainly didn't help

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
yeah cuz the really expensive breeds came from brazil like p14's and leos, and now i think people hybridize them for a new type to sell for even more $$$, not bad for them, but kinda bad for alot of people who want a leo or something similar.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store