Carpintis/Texas x Jaguar line breeding ideas?

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
I saw a Texas Jaguar hybrid, and I was wondering what would happen if I line bred a new hybrid. I was thinking a white/gold base with a nice blue for the Jaguar patterns would be good. I was also thinking a taller thicker body that is around the same size of a regular Jag, maybe bit of nuchal hump similar to the rectangular one you see on Dovii would also be a good traits in my opinion. Anyway does anyone have any ideas for what they would want to see in a line bred Texas/Jag hybrid?

Last edited:
Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
Just realized that I would probably have to think of a name, I'm thinking something to do with snow or ice but if anyone has any ideas please tell me. Thanks in advance!

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I saw a Texas Jaguar hybrid, and I was wondering what would happen if I line bred a new hybrid. I was thinking a white/gold base with a nice blue for the Jaguar patterns would be good. I was also thinking a taller thicker body that is around the same size of a regular Jag, maybe bit of nuchal hump similar to the rectangular one you see on Dovii would also be a good traits in my opinion. Anyway does anyone have any ideas for what they would want to see in a line bred Texas/Jag hybrid?
Personally I would like to see basically what has a jag pattern on the Texas body style with the bright green pearling. I don't think the blue pearling would work as well with the jag body pattern and would take away from the camo look that jags get but a nice green pearling would blend it all together I would think.
Lol it's good to know I'm not the only one who thinks of neat hybrids and line breeding. I personally want to mix a FH with a paratilapia polleni to see if I can get an almost all black FH with bright white pearls. Granted I have no clue if it's even possible but someday I'll try. I would also like to try a female true red terror with a jag to see if I can get the red terror to have a jag body pattern while keeping the original red terror colors.

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
Personally I would like to see basically what has a jag pattern on the Texas body style with the bright green pearling. I don't think the blue pearling would work as well with the jag body pattern and would take away from the camo look that jags get but a nice green pearling would blend it all together I would think.
Lol it's good to know I'm not the only one who thinks of neat hybrids and line breeding. I personally want to mix a FH with a paratilapia polleni to see if I can get an almost all black FH with bright white pearls. Granted I have no clue if it's even possible but someday I'll try. I would also like to try a female true red terror with a jag to see if I can get the red terror to have a jag body pattern while keeping the original red terror colors.
Unfortunately I doubt the Polleni Flowerhorn hybrid would be possible due to flowerhorns being Central American Cichlids while Polleni are technically African Cichlids from madagascar. It would still be possible to create a Flowerhorn like that, if you can hybridize a black nasties, although I don't know if black nasties can hybridize because they have very different tank requirements from flowerhorns. However as far as I know the Red terror x Jag is possible. Good to know someone else has interests besides Flowerhorns/Red Texas/Blood parrots because even though they are some of my favorite hybrids not many people are thinking of new hybrids.
Edit: I wasn't thinking about the camo look of Jags, I was mostly thinking that a pop of white/gold and blue in naturalistic tank would be nice because even though regular Cichlids and hybrids are nice you rarely see white/gold and blue in any Cichlids as far as I know.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Unfortunately I doubt the Polleni Flowerhorn hybrid would be possible due to flowerhorns being Central American Cichlids while Polleni are technically African Cichlids from madagascar. It would still be possible to create a Flowerhorn like that, if you can hybridize a black nasties, although I don't know if black nasties can hybridize because they have very different tank requirements from flowerhorns. However as far as I know the Red terror x Jag is possible. Good to know someone else has interests besides Flowerhorns/Red Texas/Blood parrots because even though they are some of my favorite hybrids not many people are thinking of new hybrids.
Yeah the only bad thing is that most ppl look down on hybrids in general so in turn they look down on ppl who are actively trying to make new ones. Personally I see nothing wrong with hybrids as long as they are sold as x/x hybrids. Personally I would love to see even more hybrids become available rather then the 3 regulars. Granted still love my FH's regardless. There are still some interesting combinations to made yet tho. I'd even like to try crossing same native species from around here with either some SA or CA cichlids. I think it would be interesting to see a orange spotted sunfish mixed with a EBA or maybe a firemouth. Granted not sure if NA cichlids can breed with SA or CA cichlids at all but it would be worth a try if think. Still planning on getting a breeding group of orange spotted sunfish regardless just to make them more common in the hobby. What do you think would pair best with one of these?

2d6994070a72519ec7a11833dbb2021f.jpg

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
Yeah the only bad thing is that most ppl look down on hybrids in general so in turn they look down on ppl who are actively trying to make new ones. Personally I see nothing wrong with hybrids as long as they are sold as x/x hybrids. Personally I would love to see even more hybrids become available rather then the 3 regulars. Granted still love my FH's regardless. There are still some interesting combinations to made yet tho. I'd even like to try crossing same native species from around here with either some SA or CA cichlids. I think it would be interesting to see a orange spotted sunfish mixed with a EBA or maybe a firemouth. Granted not sure if NA cichlids can breed with SA or CA cichlids at all but it would be worth a try if think. Still planning on getting a breeding group of orange spotted sunfish regardless just to make them more common in the hobby. What do you think would pair best with one of these?

View attachment 1408146
Wait there is more than one north American cichlid? Anyway I think maybe some type of vieja would work with it nicely, it would give it a nice body shape and maybe it could add some extra color to the face area. I think Body shape is extremely important, more than color in my opinion.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Wait there is more than one north American cichlid? Anyway I think maybe some type of vieja would work with it nicely, it would give it a nice body shape and maybe it could add some extra color to the face area. I think Body shape is extremely important, more than color in my opinion.
Yeah technically speaking the entire sunfish family are cichlids. So anything as big as a large mouth bass all the way down to the pygmy sunfish are all apart of the cichlid family. Very very distantly related but still related none the less. But yeah body shape and breeding habits would need to line up the most but there are plenty of cichlids out there with a very similar body shape/breeding habits. Only thing that I think would be the problem between trying to cross one with a vieja is just the size difference. OSS males tend to Max out at only 5in and the females max out around 4in. The one in the pic was a male while a female stays this light grey color with darker rust colored spot instead on that nice bright orange. Not too familiar with viejas so there could be one small enough that I just don't know about. Could always replace the OSS for a slightly larger sunfish specie as well, I know bluegill get to around 8-10in max wild size.

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
Yeah technically speaking the entire sunfish family are cichlids. So anything as big as a large mouth bass all the way down to the pygmy sunfish are all apart of the cichlid family. Very very distantly related but still related none the less. But yeah body shape and breeding habits would need to line up the most but there are plenty of cichlids out there with a very similar body shape/breeding habits. Only thing that I think would be the problem between trying to cross one with a vieja is just the size difference. OSS males tend to Max out at only 5in and the females max out around 4in. The one in the pic was a male while a female stays this light grey color with darker rust colored spot instead on that nice bright orange. Not too familiar with viejas so there could be one small enough that I just don't know about. Could always replace the OSS for a slightly larger sunfish specie as well, I know bluegill get to around 8-10in max wild size.
To be honest size does not usually matter for Cichlids in my opinion, you can pretty much breed most CA Cichlids as long as the male can fertilize the eggs, infact the male being bigger makes it easier to breed because it is easier for it to bond with the female and you can make more hiding places for the female that the male will have no chance of getting into.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
T
To be honest size does not usually matter for Cichlids in my opinion, you can pretty much breed most CA Cichlids as long as the male can fertilize the eggs, infact the male being bigger makes it easier to breed because it is easier for it to bond with the female and you can make more hiding places for the female that the male will have no chance of getting into.
True true, it definitely does make it easier making a pair. I guess my mind was on using a male OSS lol. But it shouldn't matter if I use a female, the results should be the same regardless. It would take a couple gens to get the breed to actually breed true but it would look very interesting in the end. I'll have to do some research on veija species and see if I can pick out one or 2 I wanna try. Any recommendations?

Reactions: Cichlids keeper
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store