Catching fry...

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Ok, so I'm having a problem, and looking for ideas...
I've got unexpected fry in my tank, and they're in between my 3D background and back wall of the tank, I have about a 2-2 1/2" gap in there for my heater, intake tube, etc.
So far I've tried netting them, and because of the height of my tank on the stand, and stand framework, I can't see what I'm doing, and the little buggers are quick... Also tried using a siphon I've got to suck them into a bucket... no dice there either...

The only other idea I've got right now it go out and buy a small piece of acrylic to slide in behind there and divide it in half, and drain water to consolidate the fry...

Any better ideas?

They're back here... the gap is on the left side of the photo.uploadfromtaptalk1383332850578.jpg

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

crush329

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
MO
I know of no other way then the two ways you tried(the syphon works better IMO)... But when trying to grab them, turn the main tank light off because the fry tend to huddle close when the lights go out. Surely you dont need the whole batch? Lol But anyway good luck catching them.

midnight_games

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2012
Albany, GA
You could get a turkey baster and attach some plastic tubing to the end to give it some length. Just make sure the tubing fits into the baster and not over it. (i.e. cutting the tip of the baster and fitting the tube inside)

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Yeah, problem is as high as the tank is, I can't see down from the top to use the siphon and flashlight method... Might have some help coming over tonight, so I'm going to give it a shot again... Maybe with one person to just use as a "distraction" to herd them down, I'll have some luck netting them out.

Main tank lights out really doesn't make a difference, no light gets back there unless my clip-on grow lamp is on, the background blocks the light from the LED fixture on the tank...

I'd like to get them all out, because they're not going to grow up well in a 2 1/2" wide space... And they're already too big to swim back into the main tank through the plastic mesh closing off the holes in the background (for water flow to my filter intake). If I don't get them out, they'll either grow stunted back there, or I'll have dead fish back there...

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Just curious...what fries are they?..
Best guess is some sort of hybrid peacocks. Was supposed to be no females in the tank. I'm pretty sure I know which one the female is now, but no idea what species she is, and no idea which male they go to either (I'd guess my blue, venustus, livingstonii, or bumblebee...)

sharizan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2013
Malaysia, sarawak
Best guess is some sort of hybrid peacocks. Was supposed to be no females in the tank. I'm pretty sure I know which one the female is now, but no idea what species she is, and no idea which male they go to either (I'd guess my blue, venustus, livingstonii, or bumblebee...)

Look forward to see the fries...good luck..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store