Catching ray poo without media??? Yup.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Found some in the process of building pics from last summer.

Hope these will clear up the concept.

First is the drum with a hole hacked in it for the 3" bulkhead fitting where the water will enter directly from the tank's overflow.

DSCN8387.JPG

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
This is the water softener barrel cut in half. I just used a hole saw in the center of the bottom then used threaded PVC to attach it to the lid I cut off the drum.

This piece will just sit down in the drum after the drum is plummed.

DSCN8391.JPG

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
This is the line coming into the drum.....

The standpipe is centered right in the middle of the drum.

DSCN8392.JPG

DSCN8393.JPG

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
The plumed barrel then had to be trimmed a bit so the lid with the softener attached to it would fit down IN to it, so when water splashes it doesn't get out....

And that's basically all there is to it. Like I said before, ideally I'd think you'd want drains on the bottom so you don't have to siphon them out..... Or you can just drop a pump in and pump them directly down the drain.

I use the poo for plant fertilizer.

DSCN8398.JPG

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Now that I've got pics dug up if anyone wants to see the rest of my impractical monster filter I'm sure I could post some of the bio reactor, or the wet/dry reactors. (WTF are those right!?!) How do you make a wet dry better? The same way you make a reactor better. Mix them. See the wet/dry benefits from the added air you use to boil a reactor, the reactor benefits from the drip plate trickle that rains down, and the best part? You can cut the air in the event you need to use a med like prazi that would typically mess up a reactor in a bad way and the trickling water never allows the K1 to dry out...... Now run a gravity fed drain line from the filter sock tank to the reactor portion and then you get a real crazy good boil...... :)

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Sounds cool and everything but if you are making socks last 3 weeks instead of 1 week then even the small amount of crap that is in the sock is just going to be in the tank longer making water quality worse. Seems you should still wash your socks once a week...Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Radial flow separators can remove 40% of the waste in the water before it ever even touches the socks......

Flip side of your point, why wait a week?

:)

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Great Concept - have a Video??
Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Hopefully pics clear it up a bit, but if they don't I'll make a video for you...... As long as you look past the fact that it's in a "dungeon basement" ;) lol

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Please post a video of the set up. I just can't quite grasp the set up. What size tank are you running this on?

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
The main tank is a 750 gallons. There's also a 180 gallon tank tied to it that the male rays are kept in (dubbed the meat locker), then the filtration probably adds another 350 gallons.

Reactions: Matteus

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
I vote for a video of the dungeon. wish I had more of a basement to use or I would be all over this. my laundry room is turning into my fish room slowly but all I have room for is tanks and I don't think I could keep a metal shed warm enough to place a filter room beside it but that would be ideal if I could to avoid adding on to the house.

Reactions: Matteus

corn fed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
Nebraska
Ok. The pics and reading the discription cleared it up for me. Thank you. How far from the bottom would you say the water softner barrell sits. I would think that this could be adjusted to impact filtration. Have you played with the height at all?

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store