Catching ray poo without media??? Yup.

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
Subscribed. but cannot watch videos on phone? Wrong format?

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
This is a great thread thanks for posting it. You got me excited about this idea a while a back when you mentioned in a thread of mine. I would love to see the whole set up and how it is worked in.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Thanks for sharing. I like looking at filters more than fish. Fish is just an accessory for the filter.

• Haha
Reactions: Matteus

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
nice job alan..yours looks to be working better than mine..i blame mine on laziness though :)
Got any pics????

Are you using the same idea (Radial Flow) or are you trying Vortex settling?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Thanks for sharing. I like looking at filters more than fish. Fish is just an accessory for the filter.
Agreed! lol. Need lots of them if you want to be able to really test if works or not!!! The whole fluid dynamics part along with the different means of filtration can definitely provide weeks/months/years of entertainment....... :(

I can't wait till the day where cracking a valve will make the poo go away...... A toilet for the fish...... lol

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I will readily admit that I in no way go above and beyond when it comes to filtration. Simple sump and a canister. Throw in a drip and I'm content to enjoy the fish and really spend no time and effort trying to improve it. It's very interesting to see the flip side of that with you Alan always looking for ways to improve. Your dedication is awesome, keep up the good work.

cjfrontlovr

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2006
denver,nc..
Got any pics????

Are you using the same idea (Radial Flow) or are you trying Vortex settling?

this is all my ideas at work. I am not following any one design..just playing around to try and see what I can make work.
I changed the design alittle yesterday and am awaiting results.originally the lower 4" was the supply to the filter (from overflows of 650g and 480g that are back to back)and the upper 4" is the return to the 210g sump.i 90'd the supply up the about 2" lower than the desired water level then suspended a 10" diameter pipe over the 4" to cause the water to flow downwards before coming back up to be returned to the sumps.thsi was working fairly well but yesterday I cut the supply pipe off about 2" into the wall of the filter and installed a 60 degree bend and pointed it slightly downward causing a swirl.i think this concept would work but due to the fact that theres not a lot of area left at the bottom of the cone tank for the solids to settle. I think it would work better if the supply were higher giving more room at the bottom for solids to settle. so...I continue to play.for reference that is a 6' ladder leaning against the 200g cone bottom poly tank..maybe I can get the mad scientist kendragon to come over and assist me in getting this right :)

i

• Wow

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Oh, this is very complicated like rocket science. Your incoming water efflux pattern cannot be tripped. Like a jet engine nacelle requires laminar flow. Disturbance in the boundary layer would result in noise/drag which affects efficiency in performance. Can I suggest chevons on your pipe like the 787 thrust reverser?.:ROFL:

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I also commend you guys for your thirst to increase performance on your filtration. But my head hurts every time I read these threads:ROFL:

Kevin at least you have made it to a drip, I havent even made it to that stage.;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store