Cheap/Easy/Fasy indoor pond/bedstand(that's right bedstand)

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Sweet, can't wait to see this thing finished. If it works out well I might make one myself.
lol, gonna let me see if it works first huh? :)

This should be good.

How do you plan to flow the water? Trickle filter?
I am actually using some drop in bucket filters. Not gonna mess with what works. I've done it before and it worked well so why not again.

interesting idea cant wait for more pics!
It is an idea that was spurred out of what can I do to keep big fish again.

gives a whole new meaning to sleeping with the fishes! (Groan...)
exactly!!! Also should be having plenty of wet dreams in no time! ;)

Water + mattress = mold.

I can't fathom renting a room to a guy...and having him do something like this in it.

Matt
I can't fathom posting this response as I have stated I have already addressed this but apparently it need further attention since some don't seem to get what having a sealed system means.

Having a sealed system means that the moisture stays in the pond. There ya go. :) Not going to spend too much time on this so pay attention.

The pond will have a liner in it. The pond will have a lid. The lid will have a liner. The side walls of the pond come up over the side of the lid. Only the ends of the lid will have hinges to allow me to feed the fish, view them, and maintain the filters. The mattress as a secondary(completely unnecessary) precaution will have a waterproof covering as well(like what you get for kids that pee the bed a lot)

Know how + doing something properly = no mold and happy fish along with a place to sleep off the floor. :) if you don't like my idea stay out of my thread.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
As you will see in the following pics I have modified the pond slightly from what I did in sketchup. I have made it to where the side walls come up a little past the top to meet evenly with the lid of the pond. BTW for any confusion the pond is shown without the lid in the sketch up. I figured people would know it would have a lid. I guess I was wrong. Common sense isn't handed out as much I thought. :) I guess they should call it uncommon sense.

Ok so here's today's progress so far. As you can see I've started adding in the side walls, and hopefully the liner will make it in by the weekend so that I can finish this thing up. I am going to try to get the rest of the walls finished tomorrow. I am going slow and making sure everything fits properly and is squared up nicely. I am not allowing more than about 1mm of error in gaps. Any gaps larger than that will be filled before the liner goes in. Also will do a quick sanding of the ply to remove burrs and splinters as well. I have everything purchased except hinges, and filter media. I will be getting those next week. I have the buckets for the filters already. :naughty: Should have the heater, and my other goodies this week with any luck. Hopefully it doesn't collapse in so that I look like the guy in the fish mouth!!!!

DSCF3775.JPG
DSCF3773.JPG
DSCF3764.JPG
DSCF3776.JPG
DSCF3772.JPG
DSCF3765.JPG
images.jpg
DSCF3774.JPG
DSCF3771.JPG
DSCF3762.JPG

DSCF3762.JPG

DSCF3764.JPG

DSCF3765.JPG

DSCF3771.JPG

DSCF3772.JPG

DSCF3773.JPG

DSCF3774.JPG

DSCF3775.JPG

DSCF3776.JPG

images.jpg

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
In the pics you will notice there are notches. That's where the top support rails will be. There will be studs on top of the vertical ones that will be notched also to fit the studs that will be accross the top. you can see the ply will go over the top 3/4" so that it will meet up even with the lid. The center 4x4' section of lid will be permanently fastened down to the top. The two 2'x4' ends will be able to open. I will be wrapping them in liner as well. using contact cement on the top and to wrap the liner on the rails as well. I am hoping to make the cuts for the two ends precise enough so that when it shuts it meets up with the liner on the walls creating a seal. :) One end will have a notch for air exchange and cords. This will be just large enough for the cords and such. This as you can imagine is much larger than my mattress as I sleep on a small twin mattress. So when I need the ends open it will be easy enough just to pull off the matress. :) The idea is just to have a pond that I can put my mattress on to sleep on when needed. At first I was going to put in a window to make it cooler to see the fish, but then decided it could do it quicker without it and cheaper as well.

In the one pic you can see how I crammed my skull work table and fishtank together to make a little more room in my tiny bedroom. Maximizing space here is the name of the game.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Welcome!!!! :)

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
I may have to come up with some type of locking system for the ends to hold them down to create a good seal. Any ideas???? :) just has to be able to open easily.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I agree with Matt. Mold will develop and eventually make you sick.
As long as a tank has good lids there should be no mold issues? i dont see the problem, its pretty apparent this pond will have a good lid and theres no chance the mattress will ever come in contact with water. Mold occurs in condensation formed by extreme temp. differences, like when tanks are placed in a garage with no heat. This tank will not need a heater IMO with such a nice lid lol so it should b fine. I run a 12' intex pool in my basemnt "topless" and have absolutly no issues with humidity or mold. Nice progress Necro lookin good! I still think it needs a window lol but thats another hassel.

Nova 8

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2007
South Australia
For a tight seal I'd use some rubber and some hinges like on a toolbox (as already mentioned) so when the toolbox hinges get locked down it squeeze the two bits of rubber together to form a tight seal like a car door.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store