Cheap/Easy/Fasy indoor pond/bedstand(that's right bedstand)

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I agree with Matt. Mold will develop and eventually make you sick.
Anyone ever have a fish tank in there bed room before? Just because the bed is directly above doesn't mean its going to mold. I don't understand? I use to have tanks completely around my bed, no mold. Odd? Maybe the mold is smarter these days? Or......

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Nova 8

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2007
South Australia
I dont see mold as the major issue, I think the fish going nuts at night cause you rolled over would be my issue. Depends how flighty the fish are I guess.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
As long as a tank has good lids there should be no mold issues? i dont see the problem, its pretty apparent this pond will have a good lid and theres no chance the mattress will ever come in contact with water. Mold occurs in condensation formed by extreme temp. differences, like when tanks are placed in a garage with no heat. This tank will not need a heater IMO with such a nice lid lol so it should b fine. I run a 12' intex pool in my basemnt "topless" and have absolutly no issues with humidity or mold. Nice progress Necro lookin good! I still think it needs a window lol but thats another hassel.
I wish I could do a window but in a time crunch as well as not having the money for it lol. I'm off the mold issue. It's nothing to argue about so let's just drop it. I don't intend the mattress to ever come in contact with water unless I spill it on the mattress. I've been sleeping on the mattress on the floor for 2 years. I'm at least gonna test this out and if it doesn't seem to work I will go back to the tried and true of matress in the floor next to the pond lol.

For a tight seal I'd use some rubber and some hinges like on a toolbox (as already mentioned) so when the toolbox hinges get locked down it squeeze the two bits of rubber together to form a tight seal like a car door.
It's a good idea. I am going to look at some kind of fasteners this weekend. As for the rubber I'm hoping that the pond liner on the lid and on the walls will create a sort of gasket. I'll get to that when the time comes. :)

Anyone ever have a fish tank in there bed room before? Just because the bed is directly above doesn't mean its going to mold. I don't understand? I use to have tanks completely around my bed, no mold. Odd? Maybe the mold is smarter these days? Or......

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
strange huh? lol, I've keep a garage with nearly 3000 gals of open topped tanks in it with absolutely no mold or mildew conditions.

I dont see mold as the major issue, I think the fish going nuts at night cause you rolled over would be my issue. Depends how flighty the fish are I guess.
This I can see as a concern. I guess time will tell :) as stated above if all else fails I will be back in the floor on the mattress lol.

Good luck with your project. I'll stay out of your thread. LOL!
I respect your decision to stay out. Thanks for the luck. :)

CrimsonFog

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Warshingtun
Vigilant projects like these always intrigue me. Can't wait to see more progress!

:popcorn:

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
DSCF3778.JPG
DSCF3779.JPG
DSCF3797.JPG

Future inhabitant made it to my house today!!!! Got a Pterodoras granulosus today!!! lol. I'll throw a pic of him in with the new pond pics. So I am making good progress on the walls and bracing of them. :) should be ready to fit the liner tomorrow if it makes it here by then. :) Was thinking of putting down the contact cement then putting in the liner and filling it with warm water to press it to the walls. I don't think the lid will flex at all when I'm laying on it because it has 4 studs it will be laying on, plus the center portion will be screwed down to the side rails from above, and where the side wall comes up on the side of the lid as well. So actually when the water pressure pushes out on the walls it should make the lid more stable to downward pressure. :) Let me know what you guys think. Even without the top or top rails yet the walls barely budge with what you see so far. Couple of pics of my newest fish that will be in the pond!!!!;)

DSCF3778.JPG

DSCF3779.JPG

DSCF3797.JPG

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Vigilant projects like these always intrigue me. Can't wait to see more progress!

:popcorn:
:) after not being able to complete my 4000 gal aquarium after my divorce this project is taken on with much gusto!!! Hopefully it will spur some other people to think (inside) the box lol.

On another note I also have some lighting coming for this sometime this week.

List of supplies so far goes as follows

4 sheets of plywood
20 2x4s
3 lbs of screws
3 tubes of liquid nails
1 can of contact cement
1 small paint roller
6 various screw bits
some monster wood blades for my jig saw lol
1 10' x 15' pond liner (firestone)
2 5 gal buckets
2 500 gal per hour pond pumps
1 200 watt titanium heater
1 led pond light (with suction cups on the bottom) was cheap so kind of an experiment

size is up to around 350 gals when full on inner dimensions, but will likely have less than 325 gals most of the time. A concern is air transfer so that their is plenty of do in the water. i may end up getting an air pump as well.

Still needed: filter media/air pump

Almost forgot. Cost to this point is around $380. Could have been cheaper had I used other methods to seal the tank, but I'm all about ease at this point lol.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Lol, just now getting the vids posted. Will be nice to have the internet at my place starting tomorrow!!!

[video=youtube;IJSxbZhwZNg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJSxbZhwZNg[/video]

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
[video=youtube;Tq1c1w4Cv8I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq1c1w4Cv8I[/video]

This vid two of when the base was complete. Much farther than this now. Need to take a new vid!!! lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store