Check this ray out...

rayman

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
Germany
Hi Alex,

AlexG;1083722; said:
There is NO real "Mantilla", have u ever seen one? Only many different kinds of rays which look like something which has been called "Mantilla" get this name to get some more money for it.
The name "mantilla ray" was created by Richard Ross. Read his books and you will see pictures of the true mantilla ray. As far as I know his mantilla rays came from Brazil and maybe they are a undescribed species. And the name was not created to make money. I know that scientist found in a Brazilian river rays that look like the rays Richard Ross has. And they are a smaller kind of ray. They look very similar to the mantilla ray in this japanese picture:

http://www1.bbweb-arena.com/aquaaqua/syasinkan/syasin-big/082-640-20070203.JPG

But you are right, the mantillas in the trade are different kind of rays or even hybrids.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Great thread. This gives me some ideas to variations in rays..

Heres some pics.. I wonder what would happen if I were to mix some of the stranger morphs with Motoros?

Yepezis.jpg

TCupYepeziSp.jpg

MotoroSpPeruBlack.jpg

stingrayguy

Dovii
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2005
Illinois
rayman;1091156; said:
Hi Alex,

The name "mantilla ray" was created by Richard Ross. Read his books and you will see pictures of the true mantilla ray. As far as I know his mantilla rays came from Brazil and maybe they are a undescribed species. And the name was not created to make money. I know that scientist found in a Brazilian river rays that look like the rays Richard Ross has. And they are a smaller kind of ray. They look very similar to the mantilla ray in this japanese picture:

http://www1.bbweb-arena.com/aquaaqua/syasinkan/syasin-big/082-640-20070203.JPG

But you are right, the mantillas in the trade are different kind of rays or even hybrids.

That is a KILLER looking ray in that link.. I MUST GET ONE!!!

RARE AFISHINADO

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
actually your totally incorrect,

that female is an offspring from a motoro/henlei i sold a friend of Todds who later gave it to Todd who bred it with a motoro.

this is a prime example of how you CAN NOT id and make a guess with a hybrid ray. Its just a guess and should never be spoken about like fact.

These days I see alot of uninformed people guessing the genes involved in hybrids from the rays outward appearance. Its totally unreliable and this is just one example.

csx4236;1078889; said:
Not a henlei/motoro. It's a mantilla or humerosa ray

stingrayguy

Dovii
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2005
Illinois
RARE AFISHINADO;1360120; said:
actually your totally incorrect,

that female is an offspring from a motoro/henlei i sold a friend of Todds who later gave it to Todd who bred it with a motoro.

this is a prime example of how you CAN NOT id and make a guess with a hybrid ray. Its just a guess and should never be spoken about like fact.

These days I see alot of uninformed people guessing the genes involved in hybrids from the rays outward appearance. Its totally unreliable and this is just one example.

Awesome to find out where the mom came from. So then its true.. she is a henlei motoro

RARE AFISHINADO

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
I would also like to add that in some hybrid litters the pups can all have different appearances. They do not all look alike.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
RARE AFISHINADO;1360149; said:
do you really think the pic u posted is a mantilla?
Hey Jon,

How about blessing us all with your pinnacle knowledge of Mantilla Rays, in the Mantilla ray thread I made..

Maybe without being rude.. ?

Thanks. :popcorn:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store