CHINESE PERCH.....Siniperca chuatsi

fishinman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2007
Where the sun don't shine
Nice perch Norbert... I have 2 of them also. I recently threw some tinfoil barbs in their tank and that has stopped them from beating on each other (for the most part).

Were you able to get yours off live? It was a long process for me, but they will now eat anything that hits the water..including massivore

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
You have a great perch collection! Congrats!

Norbert

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
fishinman;4866673; said:
Nice perch Norbert... I have 2 of them also. I recently threw some tinfoil barbs in their tank and that has stopped them from beating on each other (for the most part).

Were you able to get yours off live? It was a long process for me, but they will now eat anything that hits the water..including massivore
Thanks man, weird, I've been thinking that Tinfoils would make good tankmates...definitely going to try them now

Yep, they're off live now...I still have to kind of wave my hand over the tank and make sure they see whatever I'm feeding hit the water though...once it's on the bottom it doesn't exist as far as they're concerned
Miguel;4866827; said:
You have a great perch collection! Congrats!
Thanks Miguel :)

fishinman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2007
Where the sun don't shine
Nice... mine just recently started eating off the bottom after the introduction of the tinfoils. the perch now race to try and eat everything in sight before the tinfoils get to the food.

I think most people that are having trouble getting their perch off live only have a single specimen. I definitely think that having 2 perch has helped in getting them to eat different foods since they are always in competition during feeding times. mine act like oscars now and go nuts at the surface every time i approach the tank.

awesome pics btw!!

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Do all the Asian Perch require cold water? Any tropicals????

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Nice....Not to many people update theses guys. Did you get them from rapps and how big are they? Thats some red!

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Chefken;4876137; said:
They generally do best in colder waters, but I've talked to Wes pretty in-depth about this before buying my 3x Korean and he convinced me that most perch can adjust to temperatures up to around 80. He knows his stuff when it comes to fish from out thatta way, so I went with his advice. Mine seem to be fine after 6 months. :)

Norbert

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
fishinman;4876087; said:
Nice... mine just recently started eating off the bottom after the introduction of the tinfoils. the perch now race to try and eat everything in sight before the tinfoils get to the food.

I think most people that are having trouble getting their perch off live only have a single specimen. I definitely think that having 2 perch has helped in getting them to eat different foods since they are always in competition during feeding times. mine act like oscars now and go nuts at the surface every time i approach the tank.

awesome pics btw!!
I'm hoping mine will get to the point where they eat off the bottom also, just happy for now to have them off of live. Completely agree about the competition aspect, really helps.

Chefken;4876137; said:
I picked up a Coreoperca loona which is evidently a tropical perch (well...per Fishbase anyway) it is in a heated tank at about 80, has been for months and is doing great...this guy was far and away the easiest of my different perch to get off of live, he eats everything.

Madding;4879956; said:
They generally do best in colder waters, but I've talked to Wes pretty in-depth about this before buying my 3x Korean and he convinced me that most perch can adjust to temperatures up to around 80. He knows his stuff when it comes to fish from out thatta way, so I went with his advice. Mine seem to be fine after 6 months. :)
I keep my house between 68 and 72, doesn't fluctuate too much and most of my perch do great in that range (I don't have heaters in some of their tanks) I've heard they can do 60 or even 50 and like you said up to 80, they all seem like pretty hardy fish so far.

Norbert

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
FunWow!;4879909; said:
Nice....Not to many people update theses guys. Did you get them from rapps and how big are they? Thats some red!
Thanks man, I'd like to see more pics of others, they're nice looking fish IMO, these guys are 4" (eyeballing)
Nope I got the Chinese Perch, Korean Perch and the little Coreoperca loona from Wes at Rarefish.

I did get this guy from Rapps though...Coreoperca whiteheadi

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store