CHINESE PERCH.....Siniperca chuatsi

Norbert

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Oh what the heck...I know I started the thread about S. chuatsi but we're kind of talking about cooler water perch so here's a shot of my Japanese Perch...Lates japonicus

I'm keeping this little guy at about 75 degrees for now...anyone keeping them any cooler than that? Not sure on temp for these to tell the truth..

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
they do prefer cooler water, where they're from snows during the winter. I grew one out to 18" with no problems in 80 degree water. One of my favorite of all time!

Norbert;4880345; said:
Oh what the heck...I know I started the thread about S. chuatsi but we're kind of talking about cooler water perch so here's a shot of my Japanese Perch...Lates japonicus

I'm keeping this little guy at about 75 degrees for now...anyone keeping them any cooler than that? Not sure on temp for these to tell the truth..

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
C. loona can also take the cold very well, its from cooler water streams in central China, which still gets pretty cold during the winter. I don't see how they're tropical. The only tropical place in China is Hainan Island

Norbert;4880313; said:
I'm hoping mine will get to the point where they eat off the bottom also, just happy for now to have them off of live. Completely agree about the competition aspect, really helps.

I picked up a Coreoperca loona which is evidently a tropical perch (well...per Fishbase anyway) it is in a heated tank at about 80, has been for months and is doing great...this guy was far and away the easiest of my different perch to get off of live, he eats everything.

I keep my house between 68 and 72, doesn't fluctuate too much and most of my perch do great in that range (I don't have heaters in some of their tanks) I've heard they can do 60 or even 50 and like you said up to 80, they all seem like pretty hardy fish so far.

Norbert

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
fugupuff;4880349; said:
wow, can't believe you have all these different perches!
Why can't you believe it...I got a lot of them from you :)

fugupuff;4880351; said:
they do prefer cooler water, where they're from snows during the winter. I grew one out to 18" with no problems in 80 degree water. One of my favorite of all time!
Ok, good to know, I had thought I'd read that but couldn't find any real good info about it.

fugupuff;4880357; said:
C. loona can also take the cold very well, its from cooler water streams in central China, which still gets pretty cold during the winter. I don't see how they're tropical. The only tropical place in China is Hainan Island
I was definitely wondering about that with this guy.

Maybe the warmer temp accounts for his enormous appetite...as you can see here, he doesn't miss many meals :D

dzigbancet;4880370; said:
Awesomeeeeee!!!!:drool:
Thanks man, Korean Perch are awesome

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Very awesome perch collections guys.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Norbert;4880345; said:

I keep mine 65-70 degrees... I had them at 78-80 in the past, and they didn't last very long! :irked: I just dedicate a tank for them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store